Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Monday, January 15, 2007

Whacha been doin'?

I haven't given y'all an update on what I've been doing in a while.  Mostly that's cause I haven't done a whole lot of social things.  But as Poly has blogged about, there have been some fun times that I should mention.

Poly and I began the year with a renewed commitment to photography.  On New Year's Day, we drove around to a few random places to shoot: an abandoned school, an abandoned town (well, it looked abandoned to me) and ... I guess that was it - seemed like more.  We got some shots that we were fairly happy with.

The following weekend, the Olive girls came into town.  They stayed with me, but I didn't really see them.  I went to a nature walking trail not far from my house to shoot.  OK, so winter is not the best time to shoot nature.  Got it.  I'll try again in the spring.

This past weekend, Poly and I went into the city to shoot: a historic bridge, a creepy train track crossing, a cool building under construction and then just the streets as we were driving home along the scenic route.  Poly got some great shots while I was driving.  I cried foul and told him that he's driving next time.  Poly pointed out that if we'd been in a convertible, we would both have been able to get good shots.  I am mad about photography and I have spent wads of cash on it, but even I draw the line at buying a convertible car just so we can take good shots on fair-weather Saturdays.  But if any of you fine people have a convertible you'd like to lend us, we will gladly take it.

I've started lugging my camera with me everywhere I go.  I don't want to be the creep who's always pointing it at people and going, "Say 'cheese.'"  But I do like to capture little moments, even random items, whenever and wherever I go.

I bought a "pro" account at Flickr.  Before you say, "Gee, there's another wad of cash down the drain of photography," I must tell you that a "pro" account is only $25 per year.  I get unlimited photo storage space, unlimited uploads, unlimited photo administration, and lots of other things that only have meaning to Flickr users.  Since I have a new digital camera, I know that I will use Flickr a lot.  So it was totally worth it for me.  I will also make an effort to get some of my older work uploaded (though I'm not sure how best to do so).




Get the Live.com Holiday Page for recipes, gift-giving ideas, and more. Check it out!

3 Comments:

Blogger Affable Olive said...

Often times, those upgrades are not as bad of deals as people think, like the Xanga upgrade. It would've been totally awesome to have when I was attached to Xanga.
The Jeep is a convertable. It gets horrible gas mileage around town, but you can still take the hard top off and your hair gets really messed up like it's supposed to. You let me drive the toyota. I trust you with the Jeep. After all, you've been driving longer than 9 months too.
Next time, we'll be around more, which will probably be after China in April. Just wanted to let you know four months ahead of time that we'll be crashing your futon again.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Affable Olive said...

P.S.- You are cordially invited out to the boonies whenever you think you may have time to spend a day (or two...we have room now for guests, just not mattresses yet, but you can sleep in my room and I'll take the air mattress) and I'll drive you around to all the cool places in the county and you can take pictures with your new camera.

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im thinking about asking you to take pics of my hubby and me... I don't want to go the Olen Mills route (bluh!) and my mom is difficult to convince to come up this way. I'd give you total carte blanche with the location.


ps - It was nice to see the olive girls. Well, the one anyway since olive girl Mehsha couldn't be bothered to join us for dinner (couldn't tear herself away from Poly and crowd). pout

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home