Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

An Update on Updating

So I have one more way to update my blog now...from the comfort of my easy chair in front of my tv or sitting in my bed.

That's right, folks. I got my laptop today. Nothing fancy, just fabulous for the freedom it allows me. Right this second Mike Rowe is telling me that there are over 400 breeds of chickens while he prepares to do his "dirty job" in the hatchery.

Anyhoo, yesterday was my official first day at my new job. Unfortunately, it coincided with another person's last day there. The two events were related, but not of my arranging. Out of respect for those who worked around the other person, I did not "claim" my office immediately. I was trying to decide the best time to move in. After I found out that the local vultures had started pillaging equipment (like the 19" flat panel monitor), I decided that one morning was plenty of "mourning" time. I moved in this afternoon and reclaimed my fancy monitor from the neighbor who'd nicked it.

The good: My new office has a window. It looks out onto the parking lot where people spend their smoke breaks, but still, it's a window. Not even the owner of my last company had a window in his office.

The bad: My new office has glass beside the door. Because I'm at the end of the hall, there is darkness on the other side of that glass. The glass just acts like a mirror in which I can see myself while seated at my desk. UGH! Very disturbing. I am trying to come up with an effective and professional-looking way to block the glass. Until I come up with a better solution, I have just propped a whiteboard up against it. I've written "DO NOT MOVE" on the whiteboard in case my thieving neighbors get any funny ideas.

The odd: I found several binders in my new office that date back to 2004. These binders are full of stuff that is obviously out of date. So I have no idea why the other person was hanging on to them. And here's the kicker...the binders were clearly marked to show that they used to belong to a woman who still works here. I shot off a quick email to ask if she wanted the biners and got a negative reply within 15 minutes. There was definitely no reason for the previous occupant to hang on to them! Well, they're gone now.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

Congrats on the office victory and the monitor retrieval. Also that you had the strength to dispose of binders. If I find a binder, the insides go, but the outside, if in anything but pulverized condition, comes with my to my closet where I keep them until further notice. Good job with that one. They were prolly the honkin' 3 1/2 inch ones anyway...

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new job. And Im with Poly on the binders. At my last job I had a bookcase full of them (and yes, the honkin' 3 1/2 inchers!)... couldn't bring myself to throw them away till the company closed.

I didn't find that particular 'dirty job' particularly dirty... not until they started the squirting of the chicks, anyway. ick.

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home