Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Officially welcomed

So, at my new job there are a couple of hierarchies. 

1.  The man who started the company.  He's technically the owner but at some point in the recent past, he included his son and two sons-in-law in the ownership of the company.  I have never met him.  I would say that I probably never will but I may have the opportunity at an upcoming BBQ (not the Baby Jesus BBQ).
2.  That second generation of family member owners are collectively called "the guys."  They make all the big decisions, but rely heavily on their three executives to run the daily operations.  I just found out that the two daughters and one daughter-in-law (in other words, the wives of "the guys") are collectively referred to as "the girls."  They run the mortgage company.
3.  The three executives don't have a collective name, but I like to think of them as "the boys."  They actually come in to the office every day (as opposed to "the guys" who may be conducting business from various field locations - a well-earned benefit of being an owner).  One of "the boys" is the man I call the guy who runs the place.  He's the man that everyone turns to when they need an answer, even "the guys."  He's been with the company for a LONG time.  The other two "boys" are newer to the company.  One of them is my boss' boss. 

The guy who runs the place says hello to me every time he sees me in the hall.  He's taught me some stuff (I probably could have figured it out on my own, but it was fun being taught by "the answer guy").  He definitely knows me and I feel comfortable around him.  The other "boy" is very friendly.  I don't have as much occasion to see him, but when I do he goes out of his way to wave or say hello or make some funny comment.  On my second official day, I had a meeting with him in his office about a report he wanted me to work on.  He began by throwing his arm around me and welcoming me to the company. 

So you see why it's been a little unsettling to me that my boss' boss has barely said two words to me since I arrived back in September.  I know he knows who I am.  I occasionally see him in the mail room and/or hallway.  But while he seems to chat with the lady who runs the mail room, he has never chatted with me.  In fact, I don't know that he'd ever even said hello to me before today.  I was starting to think he didn't like me, even though the fact that he allowed me to be hired seems to indicate otherwise. 

But just now I was walking through the mail room.  He was in there, so I looked up at him with a very friendly face.  He looked up ... and said ... "Welcome to the company, officially."  He spoke to me!  I think I heard a heavenly chorus.  I didn't want to scare him away, so I simply replied, "I'm thrilled to be here" and left before I wore out my welcome.




Get into the holiday spirit, chat with Santa on Messenger.  Ho-Ho-Ho!

1 Comments:

Blogger Affable Olive said...

Now, they're gonna put your office supplies in jello

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home