Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Monday, May 22, 2006

Chatting Up My Second Favorite Jew

Remember that hella long post I wrote about podcasting? Didn't read it all? Shame on you. That means you missed out on one of the best parts at the end. I introduced you to my newly recognized obsession with Jewish men. Two of my top three podcasts are from Jewish guys who view the world with a very familiar wit. Well, I spoke with one of those guys on Saturday morning - Michael Feldman.

Since you didn't read the previous post, I'll catch you up. Michael has a 2 hour radio show on NPR. It features interviews and quizzes with audience members. The quizzes always involve one person from the studio audience and one listener who calls in. I've loved this show for years, but can rarely listen to it. It plays on Saturdays from 11 - 1 on the south side of town. Now that I'm on the north side, I can't tune in at all. I went looking for the podcast version, couldn't find it, wrote in to the show, got an almost instant email back from a PA that the podcast can be purchased on a subscription basis, handed over my money and can now listen whenever I feel like it.

At the same time that I sent in the email asking about the podcast, I signed up to be a "caller" for the quiz. Michael "asks" for people to call in, but he really has prearranged people standing by waiting to answer the question. The caller is asked a qualifying question (that is always more difficult than the actual quiz questions). If the caller answers the question correctly, they can play along with the audience member. Both players work as a team and get equal prizes for their efforts.

I was the first caller waiting on line. The qualifying question was: What new regulation has the SEC instituted and called the Katie Couric Clause? I had no idea. The Doctor was standing right next to me, so I repeated the question back to Michael so she could hear it. She was similarly clueless. I gave a bogus answer that basically made no sense. Whatever. I still got to talk to Michael Feldman and be on "Whad'ya Know?"

I just downloaded and listened to the podcast. I am very happy to report that I don't sound nervous or Southern. I made a concerted effort to drop my accent in high school. I was never quite sure if I was successful. I now think I've done quite well with that. I totally sounded like I was from California. Rawk on. This gives me hope for any future endeavors I may have with creating my own podcasts. I just may have a voice for podcasting after all. (I'm just surprised at how different my voice sounded than it usually does on a video tape. I HATE the way I sound on video!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home