Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Bye Bye Baldie

Yes, they voted off the hot guy last night: Chris. I'm slightly impressed that the two not cute guys were the top vote-getters: Taylor and Elliott. Could America be wisening up? Are they learning to like people for their talent and not just their looks. If American Idol can bring about THAT change, I say ... More. Power. To. Them.

I am so tired of people getting popular because they look good. If that had always been the requirement, the world would not have known: James Taylor, Karen Carpenter (although she wasn't too bad), Barry Manilow, Lionel Richie, Jim Croce, Joe Cocker (the phrase "Dear God what is that thing?" comes to mind), Ringo Star (wait, maybe I'm OK with that), any of The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix and maybe even my very own Bing Crosby (certainly his idol - Al Jolson - so is Al Jolson my grandidol?).

Regardless, I'm sticking with my decision that Taylor should win (for totally selfish reasons). Chris will be more than OK. He's built a very loyal fanbase who will buy whatever he releases. In the paraphrased words of Tommy Motola, 'Chris has an incredible recording voice.'

5 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

Stop. with. the. periods.
No not really, it's kinda cool, but obviously a newfound trend.

Done.Done.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Horse N. Buggy said...

It's actually not a newfound trend. I've done it for a while, just not necessarily two days in a row. When I write my blog, I'm always looking for ways to communicate how I would relate the words aloud to someone. I haven't figured out how to put stress marks in, so the periods serve that purpose. Permaybehaps they didn't belong in this post, but they definitely belonged in Mark. My. Words. because that reads better than mark [beat] my [beat] words. I don't want people to say "beat" aloud in their head.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Alan said...

J.D. Salinger uses italics to emphasize the specific syllable that he wanted to be emphasized. Like when Holden says "REALly" or "inCREDibly" or something like that. I like that method. It works really well, especially with words with more than one syllable, but is a real pain to type. Italics don't show up here, so i had to use the caps there.

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the periods myself..i totally can hear you saying it just like that. And amen to your thoughts on James Taylor, Lionel Richie & Barry Manilow. Who would wanna live in a world "Mandy" or "Hello"? or "Walkin' Man"? Not me.

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops..i meant "in a world *without* Mandy, etc..but I'm sure you brilliant peoples already "figgered" that out

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home