Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

More Details in the Light of Day

So this morning I woke up remembering more interesting details from the previous evening.

1. I am very pleased that we were joined by my reader Julie's sister (Funky Chick). She came over even though I don't think she was feeling too well. From what I could tell, she had a pleasant time despite the way she was feeling.

2. While everyone was getting their food and drinks, I noticed that one of the Russians didn't have ice in his drink. I had just put the ice out into the sink and thought he may have missed it. So without thinking I said, "There's ice in the sink." I immediately felt like a Stoopid American and mumbled to myself, "but you don't need ice 'cause you're Russian." Evidently, he didn't hear me and answered, "I don't like ice." It was such a classic moment of two cultures colliding. And stuff like that isn't supposed to happen to me. I've lived around Russians. I know their little quirks.

3. Putting me in the Stoopid American category again, I forgot to prepare hot tea. I still have the tea set I bought in Moscow. But even though I was weel prepared to have lots of people over, I completely forgot to have tea ready. After dinner, the Armenian asked, "Do you have tea?" They had brought a jug of sweet tea with them. But of course, he wanted hot tea. It would have been really nice if I could have accommodated him. Oh well, next time.

4. Entertaining just isn't as big of a deal as so many people make it out to be. When the last few Russians were getting ready to leave, I was a little overwhelmed at how much mess I had to clean up. Fabulous Julie cleaned up quite a bit before she left, but there was still a ton left to do. I knew there was no way I was going to get to it that night. But at the last minute one of the Russian sisters realized how messy it was and offered to clean up. One of the couples wanted to look at my bedroom, so I took them upstairs. By the time we came back down, everything was as organized as it could be and she was even sweeping my floor. See? If you invite the right people, entertaining is not a burden at all. I loaded the rest of the stuff into the dishwasher this morning and my kitchen is almost back to normal. (I just have a little bit of cake left.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home