Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Celebrating Why I Have No Roads Left to Get to Work

For the past 4 or 5 years, the airport has been taking over the land around my office, knocking down homes, removing streets, closing down the good sandwich shop, etc. All this has been very inconvenient for me. I really loved that sandwich shop and the Secret Wendy's* that are both now gone. Why is my beloved Secret Wendy's gone? Because Atlanta needed a 5th runway. According to the airport's website, it is the "most important runway in the world."

Finally, the city is offering me something cool. They've planned a community event to let people walk around on the runway the weekend before it opens. Can you imagine having walked on I-75 before it opened? Or having been on top of the Peachtree Plaza before it was finished? This is the kind of event that you will always remember. This is a piece of Atlanta history. History in the making! I'm so there.

I know this is the day some (or all) of us are going to see World Party, but that's not until the evening. I'm going to send out an Evite to this event. I think it is really cool. I tried to talk my boss into taking his daughters. He didn't think they would like it.

“Community Day on the Fifth Runway”
Saturday, May 20, 2006
7:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.

5K on the Fifth Runway Fun Run
Registration begins at 6:00 a.m.
7:30 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.

Experience the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to run on a 9,000 foot runway before it opens! Join Mayor Shirley Franklin and bring the family to enjoy this 3.1 mile event and say you were the first to run on the Fifth Runway.

Community Day
9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.

Come one, come all to touch, see and feel what a 9,000 foot long, 150 foot wide runway looks like. A host of activities, musical performances and concessions will be available for all ages.


* Secret Wendy's was named by the man who hired me. Our office is situated between what used to be two fairly large roads (one of which has been sigficantly changed by the 5th runway). For years there was a Wendy's on each road. One of those Wendy's was always terribly busy at lunch, almost too busy to get in and out in an hour. One day, my boss realized that there was another Wendy's on the other road. To his astonishment, it was not busy at all during lunch. We started calling it Secret Wendy's because apparently no one knew about it. Eventually this Wendy's was discovered by other people. But before it closed, it had the fastest drive-through I've ever seen. I typically order sandwiches "without" certain items (imagine that). By the time I could drive to the window, this place was virtually throwing my custom sandwich in my car window and handing me my change. And now they're gone. I miss Secret Wendy's...

2 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

I'm in for running around on the tarmac. It sounds... cool. Count me in

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I visited Secret Wendy's after a late night flight one time. Imagine my confusion and disappointment the next time I flew and everything was topsy turvy.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home