Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

American Idol - It's Almost D-Day

I'm sitting here watching my VHS copy of American Idol from Tuesday night. I'm trying to see the performances before I find out later on tonight who is kicked off. Going into the show, I was convinced that Kat would be kicked off tonight, but so far it looks like the judges are trying to swing it so that she makes it to the finals.

So here's how this performance show works. There are three contestants left which means that there's enough time for them to sing three songs a piece. The first round of songs are chosen by Super Famous Music Mogul Ex-Husband of Mariah Carey, Clive Davis. The second round of songs are chosen by the judges (more accurately one judge gets to choose a song for one contestant - three judges, three contestants, it works out). The final round of songs are chosen by the conestants themselves.

Elliott Yamin (my boy):
Music Mogul Clive Davis' song - "Open Arms" by Journey. WHAT?!?! I doubt Elliott has ever listened to Journey much less ever desired to sing one of their songs. To top it off, Judge Randy Jackson used to be IN Journey. It was a little unexciting. How do you match Steve Perry's earnestness? You don't even try. The judges were not wild about it, although Randy admitted that he did a decent job. Simon told him that he needed to sing like he believed he could make it to the finals and loosen up.
Paula Abdul's song - "What You Won't Do For Love" by several jazz bands, most recently by Go West. I literally screamed when they announced he would be singing this. This is one of my all-time favorite songs, evah. Elliott almost brought tears to my eyes singing this song. I sincerely hope that he releases this song after the show. In fact, I may have to search the internet to download an illegal copy of his performance of it. Seriously. This is when I wish I had a newer tv recording device. Randy claimed that Elliott was sharp for the whole song. Whatever. Clean the wax out of your ears - dawg. Of course, Paula was giddy. I'm surprised she didn't wet herself. Simon admitted that the style of the song was perfect for him. Woohoo, big praise indeed.
Elliott's song - I have no idea what it was but he sang it really well. I started typing this entry while he was singing it, so I wasn't paying too much attention. I would have stopped in my tracks if it had been a recognizable song. Basically the judges busted him for that very thing - song choice. Simon as good as told him that he was leaving this week. And I have to keep reminding myself that I'm OK with that. The competitor inside me wants my boy to win so badly that I can't focus on the future.

Katharine McPhee:
Music Mogul Clive Davis' song - "I Believe I Can Fly" by some dude I hate, oh yeah, R. Kelly. I guess she sang it fairly well. I just hate this song so much it's hard to listen to anyone sing it. The judges thought it was a bad choice, which is funny considering that Music Mogul Clive Davis selected it.
Simon Cowell's song - "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Judy Garland. Kat sat on the stage and didn't move for this entire song. She sounded really good, but I didn't like it quite as much as the judges did. Randy loved it. Paula said it was her best performance of the whole season. Simon said it was the best performance by anyone all season. Hmmm, got a little crush on Kat do we, Simon?
Kat's song - I don't know, something really jazzy by Ella Fitgerald. The thing is, I love for Kat to sing these old jazzy numbers. I think these suit her voice best. Again, I wasn't paying much attention, but I think the judges basically liked it. But to prove that they were trying to push her through to next week, they talked about how fabulous her previous performance was.

Taylor Hicks:
Music Mogul Clive Davis' song - "Dancing in the Dark" by Bruce Springsteen. Evidently this was the first time AI featured one of the Boss' songs. It took Clive Davis and Taylor Hicks to make it happen. Whoop de do. I hate the Boss, so I wasn't too impressed with this song either. Taylor sang it well, but I just don't like the song. The judges thought he did fine. I don't really remember their reaction.
Randy Jackson's song - "You Are So Beautiful" by Joe Cocker. Everyone's been talking about Taylor's Joe Cocker moves all season, so let's just give him a Joe Cocker song. The thing is, he did it really well. The dude CAN sing and he is a better dancer than Joe Cocker. He even danced with Paula, proving that he has lots more stage presence than the other two contestants. Yep, Taylor is way more relaxed on stage than the others. He's got something you can't teach (except through experience). The judges loved his voice.
Taylor's song - "Try a Little Tenderness" by Otis Redding. (The first Google link says Bing recorded it in 1933! I don't think it was the same song, though.) Of course, this song was practically made for Taylor so he nails it. The judges go crazy nuts and Simon stops pretending that he's not pulling for Taylor by saying, "See you next week." (Simon thinks he'll convince the audience to vote Elliott off this week and then he'll finagle Kat's victory next week.)

I was not surprised to find out that I hated every one of Music Mogul Clive Davis' song choices. That explains why I hate "hit" songs these days.

Only 20 more minutes before someone gets kicked off. I'll keep you updated.

Update: It turns out that Music Mogul Clive Davis has been behind all the albums released by the American Idol machine. I used to wonder why I loved these people on the show, but hated their real music. Now I finally understand. Go away and stop screwing up my music, Music Mogul Clive Davis!

On Wednesday's show, they reviewed the trips each contestant made to their home towns. Each of them got to meet their state's governor, except Kat whose Govenator decided she wasn't worth his time. "Hasta la vista" indeed.

Here's the voting break down:
33.68% ?
33.26% ?
33.06% - my boy's going home.

They usher my boy Elliott out with a montage of him talking about his experience at Idol. He's crying in almost every interview. Have I mentioned how much I love this guy? I know I've said it before and not come through, but I'm lining up for this guy's first album. I mean it this time. He's way better than Clay Aiken and I was a HUGE Clay fan. Goodbye, Elliott. See ya soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

Yay. I'm not a Springsteen fan, either. I knew someone else in this world was sane

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home