Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Saturday, May 13, 2006

A Problematic Friend

I have a problem with one of new friends. Instead of taking my problem to her, I'm going to air it right here on my blog and let my dear readers tell me how to solve it. Ready? Let's dish the dirt.

How do you pronounce the name Yvonne? (Isn't that a juicy problem?)

When I see that name, my honest reaction in my head is to say WhyVonne - like "Why Von? Why would you have a name I can't pronounce?" But I know that's not right.

So my next choice is YeVon - like the "ye" in "yellow." "Yes YeVon, yellow is your color." But I'm not certain that is correct either.

Then I will try E!Von - like the "e" in "E! Entertainment Television." "E!Von doesn't read her email each day so I often think she is evading me." But is that right? Maybe.

My final option is EhVon - like the "eh" sound in "every". "Everyone like EhVon because she's eh-dorable."

Dear readers, help me solve my dilema. If you can't, I'm just going to give up and call her Mandy Moore.

3 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

I'm more for the YeVon, as in YEllow. That's what i've tried to say, but i've noticed myself getting lazy and slipping into eh-VON, which is too close to the male's name иван. So I don't know. But my vote goes for Ye-VON.

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YeVon as in yellow is the way I've heard most people with that name introduced pronounce it(and its the way I do), but I have heard it either way. I think it's a dialect thing. So I did trapse over from the ployglot's, and I'm thinking I should find a nickname that's NOT the one given to me by him.

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it should be Eh-von, cause if it were Yvette i would never say YeVette...guess it depends on what she prefers...?

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home