Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Friday, March 10, 2006

I am now officially old.

I ran into a guy yesterday who I knew through work, but had not seen in ... 10 years. 10 YEARS! I've been an adult in the working world long enough to have lost contact with people for 10 years.

We're looking into replacing some software for our Architecture department. So we sat through a couple of demos. The first demo was given by this a guy who'd worked for our company 10 years ago. In fact, he and I went to college together though I never actually knew him in school. He never wore shoes in college. He only wore roller blades. He was hard to miss, so even though I didn't know him, I knew of him.

I remember when I began working at the office and saw him walking around in regular shoes. I was shocked. Back then, there were several of us freshly out of college and we became "work" friends. We started playing Spades at lunch. The games were cut-throat and loads of fun. I have never had so much fun playing cards since.

Anyway, sitting in that meeting with him, tons of memories about how fun my first few years at work were came flooding back to me. Not only did I remember the card games, but I remembered the time I had such a good hand that he took it away from me to photo copy it. I think I still have that photo copy (sometimes it's good to be a packrat). I remembered that he always reminded me of another friend of mine...and sure enough, the two of them continue to resemble each other in their 30's. And I guess those are the main memories that came back to me.

Ahhh... the innocence and joys of youth versus the responsibilities and wisdom of maturity. I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home