Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The Inevitable Post About Idol

Most of you readers know that I am a huge fan of American Idol, but only as a TV show. I never quite make it to the point of buying any resulting CDs, not even from my boy Clay. So I've been watching the show this year and have to say that there's not much funny stuff going on. In the 5th year, we're finally used to people thinking they can sing and then copping 'tude when the judges tell them that they can't. There hasn't been much to talk about up to this point.

Now we're at the point of the 24 finalists. I think it's finally time for me to weigh in on who I like and who I don't. We'll see on Friday how no one in America agrees with me. So basically I'm dooming the people I like. In the cases of Clay and Bo, my backing lead them to a comfortable spot at No.2. I don't have that strong of a feeling on anyone yet.

As usual, I'm partial to the guys. With the exception of one, the girls just don't stand out to me. (But those are about the same odds as you'll find in my CD collection.) Here are my impressions:

Ace Young. An obvious choice. He's the most attractive and he can actually sing. He will definitely make it to the top 10 and I'll probably switch my loyalty over to him at some point. But for now he is not my favorite.

Jose "Sway" Penala. Until this morning, he was my choice to go all the way. Incredible voice. Likeable personality. Mixed heritage to bring in fans of all races. Sadly, I heard on the radio that I cursed him with my interest. Evidently, he already sings with a group that tours and has a record deal. I think he will be disqualified tomorrow night, leaving Ace as the clear favorite.

Elliott Yamin. The dark horse. Doesn't have the looks, but most definitely has the voice. I'm most impressed with his control. He is totally not the kind of person who would normally capture my attention, but the dude can sing.

David Radford and Will Makar. Unfortunately for them, I think these guys are going to cancel each other out. They are about the same age. They are both adorable (and able to get my support at any time). They both have really nice voices. Teenage girls are going to like both of them and will split their votes between the two (while also voting for Ace). The interesting thing is that I believe the judges think Will is still young while David is old enough. Does a year make that much difference?

Taylor Hicks. Well, here he is, My Favorite. You know I had to pick the oddest one. Not only does he have the most original voice we've heard from American Idol ever, he's also highly entertaining. I don't really expect him to make it past Thursday night (and I'll pick a new favorite after he's gone). But until he's voted off, Taylor Hicks is my American Idol, Joe Cocker gyrations and all.

Paris Bennett. The lone girl who stands out to me. She seems to almost have an unfair advantage since her grandmother was in the business. If she doesn't make it on Idol, she will be snatched up by someone. But I don't think there's any way the producers will let her not make it. She's in for the long haul. Thankfully, she can sing and seems to have a cute personality.

So there ya go. These are officially the contestants most likely to get cut now that I've singled them out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home