Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

A Night Out with Trendy Singles and Good Soup

Blog reader and true-blue friend, Julie, sent me an email last week that lifted my spirits. The message? GOOD SOUP LIVES! The original owners of Zabelees in College Park have opened a new place. The best news is that it is very close to where I live!

I made arrangements with Julie to try this new restaurant last night. I originally thought that I'd try to get a group of people from this area together to try it out. That fell through. But good ole Julie came through. She's such a social butterfly. She gathered all her cool friends together and they came to meet me. I invited Roomie, but he declined since he didn't know anyone that was planning to go. I asked him to help me get the house straightened up since I was hoping to bring people back by the house after dinner.

Last week was nightmarishly busy for me, as you may have noticed from the lack of posting. Wednesday night, I didn't get home from work until after 1:00 in the morning. Then I still did some more work from home and didn't get in bed until around 2:30. Thursday I was so wiped out that I crashed and didn't do much of anything after getting home. So Friday came and the kitchen still needed to be cleaned.

The good thing about having someone live with me is that I do try to keep on top of the mess so that it doesn't get huge. At any given time, my cleaning shouldn't take longer than 30 minutes. That is certainly not the case when I live by myself. So even though Roomie didn't really help clean the main floor of the house, it didn't take me long to make it presentable. (I later found out that he had cleaned his room and bathroom. Even if I were going to show off my bedroom, I would never think to show his room. That's not what I meant by helping clean up.)

Julie called after I'd left for the restaurant to say that everyone was going to be about 20 minutes late. All of a sudden it hit me that I didn't have anything to serve them if they came back to my house. I didn't want to invite them back for ... water. I took advantage of the extra time to stop at the grocery store. I decided to get sodas and ice cream. Oops, all the bowls are in the dishwasher - dirty. Call Roomie and ask him to start the dishwasher before he goes out. No stupid, you can't put ice cream in your trunk through dinner. Get cake. What goes with cake? Coffee. Do I have a coffee maker? Call Roomie and ask him if I have a coffee maker. He is pretty sure that I don't - so am I. Buy a coffee maker. Buy coffee. Buy creamer. I think Roomie has sugar and he won't notice if we use a little bit. Done and done.

Dinner was fabulous! I couldn't help but do my happy wiggle while eating the toureen of Good Soup they brought me. These friends have never seen me eat Good Soup before so they don't recognize the happy wiggle. My fear is that they think I do that every time I eat. (Did you ever see the Flamingo Kid? Do you remember the way Matt Dillon moaned/mumbled while he ate? My happy wiggle is kinda like that, but without sound. I can't help myself. When I eat Good Soup, I gotta express my joy.) Anyway, THAT is the way Good Soup is supposed to taste! I didn't have to add any spices to it. It was perfectly prepared. I even tried to take a photo of it. The only problem is that none of my trendy friends know how to send photos from their camera phones.

After dinner, we came back to my place for coffee. I had to get some schooling in how to make coffee since I am so not an expert. It smelled wonderful, but I didn't have any. While we were sitting around talking and drinking coffee, Roomie came home. He stopped and met everyone, then went on to bed. No surprise there.

This morning Roomie commented that he didn't recognize any of my friends, but that they all looked very "trendy." I thought about it for a minute and decided he was right. They are very trendy people. Every one of them would look perfectly at home in Greenwich Village or London or Berlin or Hong Kong or ... any other hip big city. They're all cool. And for some odd reason, they were hanging out with me on a Friday night. Good Soup is a powerful thing. Use it wisely.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

your coffee was very good. I just wished I realized you even had cake! I wouldn't have made that girl run back & forth to the kitchen! your cousin is nice--he should've showed us his room since he went to all that trouble. well, a good time was had by all. Look forward to more.

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home