Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

File This Under R

For Really Bizarre.

According to this news article, David Copperfield (yes, the illusionist) has found the "Fountain of Youth." It does not appear that he's speaking metaphorically, either. He seems to think that he has actually found a source of water that rejuvenates lifeless leaves and bugs. He has not yet tested how the water affects humans.

Let me save David the trouble of testing it. I saw this on an episode of Stargate SG-1. It's not good. People freak out and get all super-human and evil. OK, actually, the water downstream from the alien device is safe and has some decent side effects. But the alien device sitting further upstream...don't touch it, don't activate it, don't even look at it. Call in SG-1. They can properly dispose of it for you.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very intriguing new quote at the top of your homepage. Wasn't sure where to comment on it...this seemed as good a place as any...

11:48 AM  
Blogger Horse N. Buggy said...

Thanks. You are the first to comment on it. It is from "Almost Famous". It's a great conversation between the kid who is trying to be a rock&roll journalist (William Miller) and a guy who is already established as such (Lester Bangs). The kid goes on tour with this fairly successful band. The older, wiser journalist had already warned him about becoming friends with the band. The band didn't really want to be his friend, they just wanted him to write an article that would make them look cool in "Rolling Stone." Here's the dialog:

Lester Bangs: Aw, man. You made friends with them. See, friendship is the booze they feed you. They want you to get drunk on feeling like you belong.

William Miller: Well, it was fun.

Lester Bangs: They make you feel cool. And hey. I met you. You are *not* cool.

William Miller: I know. Even when I thought I was, I knew I wasn't.

Lester Bangs: That's because we're uncool. And while women will always be a problem for us, most of the great art in the world is about that very same problem. Good-looking people don't have any spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter.

William Miller: I can really see that now.

Lester Bangs: Yeah, great art is about conflict and pain and guilt and longing and love disguised as sex, and sex disguised as love... and let's face it, you got a big head start.

William Miller: I'm glad you were home.

Lester Bangs: I'm always home. I'm uncool.

William Miller: Me too!

Lester Bangs: The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool.

William Miller: I feel better.

Lester Bangs: My advice to you... I know you think those guys are your friends. You wanna be a true friend to them? Be honest, and unmerciful.

While don't quite endorse the "all great art is disguised as love/sex" theory, I love the rest of that passage.

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm. neat. I also like your new HnB photo. Did you take it?

2:50 PM  
Blogger Horse N. Buggy said...

I did.

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home