Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Turks, Soccer, Hummus and T

We got some seriously thick rain on Saturday around noon. It came just as we were finishing up service. T and I were headed back home when she announced that she really didn't feel well. I kinda anticipated that would happen. We have pretty curvy roads up here and our driver was just a tad wild. T needed food, quick-like. Well, we just happened to be near the "Mediterranean place" that Kimi and I have been talking about going to for months. T loves hummus, so she was up for the experience.

Well, this place is run by Turks. And yes, the "Turkish theory" is basically still in tact. Most of the men were a little older, but what they lacked in actual drop-dead-gorgeousness, they more than made up for in charm and hospitality. I ordered something that the very nice Turk recommended. Sidenote: I think it is interesting how often I am willing to do this now. I used to be a very picky eater. Basically I still am, but I am much more willing to experiment now than ever before.

We sat out on the covered deck and guess what was playing on the ginormous TV?!?!? Soccer. (How'd you guess?) T laughed and asked if she was going to have to get a book out of the car to read. No, no. It was German soccer. If it had been Arsenal, uh...maybe. I got a little freaked out when they changed the channel. But it turned out that a younger Turk (who definitely fit the theory) had driven all the way down from Rome to watch a "live" soccer game on the satellite. OK. He wins. I'll watch Turkish soccer.

It was a nice little place. I plan to return there many times.

9 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

I'd like to try that place. Br. Seersucker and his wife love it. I haven't been yet. Anyone up for good hummus and movie in a few weeks?

10:01 AM  
Blogger Horse N. Buggy said...

I am planning on doing "Belly Dancing and a Movie" from here in a little while. We may be able to do it next week. Then I'm going to be out of town. I just don't know how crowded they get on Friday nights. The man told us several times that they have a belly dancer on the weekends, though I doubt she would start at 6:30.

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I've eaten lunch at this place. It's not far from my office.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Alan said...

I've completely gotten over that place... I'm not claustrophobic and also do not have social anxiety disorder, but that place overwhelms me. It's so tiny, and there are so many people that it's hard for me to enjoy anymore. I dunno what it is... of course, if I had a margarita, it would probably solve it...

11:45 AM  
Blogger Affable Olive said...

Hummus?! Something I'm not allergic to! Yum...too bad I can't make it out of this county for that side of town but once a month. I am intrested in actually seeing the "Turkish theory" in action.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Alan said...

How about this for a useful Turkish phrase? Dansöz olan bir yer var mı?
Is there anywhere we can go to see bellydancing?

12:42 PM  
Blogger Horse N. Buggy said...

I'm not over the margarita and fish taco place (even though I don't eat fish tacos) because:

1) The margaritas are to die for.
2) I try to only go when there's not a big crowd. That's difficult, but it can be done.
3) It's the only place that makes shrimp that I will eat.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Alan said...

But no belly dancers, although the Ukranian hostess suits me well enough that belly dancers are no big deal.

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Taverna Plaka also has bellydancing and good food.

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home