Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Monday, August 14, 2006

I Waited Until Sunday to Shoot T

Saturday ended up being such a gray nasty day that we couldn't do any good shooting. So we decided to get up early and get it over with before the meeting on Sunday. Sunday morning was still overcast, but not rainy or humid. We went to a local high school that looks like a junior college - lots of brick and columns. Since I was using black & white film, it should be a good setting. But I'm a little worried because I don't know if I had enough light for catchlights.*

After we tired of the high school, I was a little stumped about where to go next. I thought about the road that The Doctor lives off of. It is really lovely, particularly in fall. But it feels more like a color film road to me than a black & white setting. I was suddenly struck with inspiration. Marzipan and I Heart Kids live just around the corner from that high school. They are out of town and they have a gorgeous front yard.

We went by there and I couldn't believe how perfect the setting was! I was 99.9% positive that they were not home, but just in case they had come home, we made sure to stay out close to the road. The yard would have been good in black & white or color. I found all kinds of great places to shoot. In fact, I think this is my new favorite place for portraits - not that I shoot portraits all that often.

After respectfully tromping around in their front yard, we did go over to the other road. We found at least one nice spot. But then the sun came out, which you would think would be a good thing. But not at that time of day. By then it was almost noon and you can't shoot portraits outside at noon - you get squinting and deep shadows under the eyes. I really want to shoot someone on this road in the fall. Any models out there?

* Catchlights are the little lights that you see in people's eyes reflecting the nearest light source. You may not notice when they are not present, but without them, the eyes (and face) look "dead."

1 Comments:

Blogger Affable Olive said...

I'm surprised Mehsha hasn't already jumped at the opportunity. Although we're fighting right now, I will say one nice thing: she's very photogenic.

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home