Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

A Friend Older Than Oohwah

Almost. I got a phone call on Sunday evening from a 9xx area code. Thinking that a 9xx area code meant Southern Cal, I answered expecting it to be Sporty Nice. A woman's voice said, "HnB? (Not really, she used my real name.) This is a call from the past. Do you recognize my voice?" I dug around in my memory but nothing bubbled up. "Uh, no - sorry." Then she told me her name.

WOW! She is one of my three oldest friends - ever. I typically think of Infectious Laughter as my oldest friend since she is my cousin and I don't recall ever meeting her - she was always just part of my life. But I also don't recall meeting this girl. She was one of two friends I had in South Florida. We moved to Florida when I was 19 months old. She moved away when I was 7-ish. She and another girl from that congregation were just always my friends as far as I knew. I don't know when we became friends.

So anyway, no, I did not recognize her voice considering that I hadn't heard it since she was 8-ish. But it's funny. She's got one of those names like mine. It's familiar enough that you've heard it before. But it's not quite common enough for you to have had more than one friend bearing it. So when she revealed her name to me, all she had to say was her first name (and I could have done the same to her). I instantly knew who she was - not a wasted second processing the information.

We chatted for an all too brief 15 minutes. She caught me up on her life in a dazzling butterfly-ish flit from topic to topic kind of way. My head was kinda spinning trying to keep pace with her. She got my email address and promised to write. But I still haven't heard from her. I at least want to get her address. I mean, you know me, it's not like I'm going to keep up by sending email on a regular basis. But I feel comfortable knowing that she's just a couple of clicks away if I ever get the urge to write.

The really odd thing is that despite the fact that I haven't seen or spoken to her in 25 years, I was literally thinking about her LAST WEEK! There is a person in my new area who, for reasons I won't go into, reminds me of her. So she's been on my mind and last week I was wondering where she is. I guess I got my answer.

3 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

That's super exciting. I'm not old enough to have those kinds of things happen to me yet, but maybe I made a forgotten friend somewhere along the way. Of course, I haven't moved congregations since I've been four, so not a whole lot of chance that's happening

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is very cool HnB. Recently, Affie's dad received a phone call from some long ago friends. As a result, their mom called our mom. They had a great time catching up and reminiscing.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Affable Olive said...

I was there that day. They talked for like 3 hrs. We're supposed to be going out there...or it was mentioned. I hope so. I've never been to Arizona. poly, I can go away for a long time and call you in about 30 years. That work?

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home