Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

I Don't Think So Tim*

*The title of this post is a quote from the character Al on "Home Improvement." T's dad loves to use this quote as a creative way of saying, "I think you're full of crap." It is in no way a reflection on a nice fellow named Tim that I just met a few days ago.

I read stories that Reuters posts under the heading "Oddly Enough." Today one of the stories is about the 10 best pick-up lines used around the world. Since I try to keep an eye on global happenings, I thought I'd take a gander at the lines.

The gist of the story is that some publisher has compiled these lines and translated them into at least 5 other languages. [sing-songy stage whisper]I know what my next gift to The 'Glot is gonna be...[/sing-songy voice] The story doesn't list all 10 of the lines, but here are a few:
  • Was your father a thief? Because he stole the stars from the sky and put them in your eyes.
  • Didn't it hurt when you fell from heaven?
  • You must be tired because you've been running through my mind all day.
  • The only things your eyes haven't told me is your name.
Seriously, ladies. Aren't you just dying to hear these lines?

Let's make up some of our own, shall we? Surely we can write comparable pick-up lines for men.
  • You remind me of Gallagher.
  • How did you get your hair so nice and thin on top?
  • I bet you kiss as good as my uncle.
  • I don't mind at all that your boobs are bigger than mine.
  • You'd make a great dad - you already have the wardrobe.
  • Is that your paycheck? Aww, it's so cute.
  • You look like you need a hug ... and my mom is dying to give you one.
That's it. That's my list of "great" pick-up lines that the ladies can use on the mens. But I have to admit that I cheated on the first two. My friend Chewy actually uttered those two lines to my sister Super Mom ... as woefully misguided compliments. Maybe he should have tried one of the "10 Best Pick-Up Lines" instead.

6 Comments:

Blogger Affable Olive said...

OK, yes this was funny. Poly needs that badly...especially from the way he's been talking lately. Cute paychecks. Definetly go out with any guy that thinks my pay check is cute. He can pick up the bill.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Affable Olive said...

Oh and H'n'B- can ya help me out? I don't know how well you know "cousin #1," but she needs a nickname. Suggestions?

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My all-time favorite pickup line has got to be:

"I've lost my phone number. Can I have yours?"

Don't know why...but that cracks me up.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Horse N. Buggy said...

Fellas, you now have your opening line for conversations with T. Hint: It probably works even better with an Irish accent...

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have acquired some good "spiritual pick up lines" -can't take the credit though...
* Do you know a public place where we could go and get to know each other better?
* Is it a sin that you stole my heart?
* Nice bible!
* Excuse me, I believe one of your ribs belongs to me.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Affable Olive said...

What's all this "team" stuff now? I'm leaving town in 30 minutes, so I'll deal with it when I get back.

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home