Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

A Pox on You, Polyglot!

Working during the day is really putting a cramp in my World Cup watching. But hey, I have two VCRs, right? I set my VCR to tape from 11 - 6 on ESPN yesterday so that I could catch the two matches (Australia v Italy and Ukraine v Switzerland). I was sure to tell my coworkers not to mention the results to me all day. (Most of them didn't even know that the World Cup was happening.)

Since my sister Super Mom is in town, I spent my afternoon over at Mama's. I wasn't able to just sit down and watch the two matches after getting home. Well, there was no problem at my mother's house - nobody there gives a flying kick about soccer.

I did leave a little early to get home by 8 so I could at least watch one match. I started to watch the second match since it was later on the tape. But then I realized that the commentators would talk about the earlier match during that game. So if I really wanted to remain unspoiled, I would have to watch them in order. So I watched the Australia v Italy match. (The Socceroos were ROBBED! But that's for another post.)

Today I came back in to the office telling people not to talk about the second match. Again, my coworkers had fun acting like they were going to spoil me. Then at lunch the Ghana v Brazil match was in the 73 minute. I positioned myself so that I couldn't see it and covered my ears when the guys talked about the match. I made it out of the restaurant without knowing who won. I had done it. I was completely unspoiled for two unseen matches.

Then I got back to the office and checked The Polyglot's blog.

My eyes! My eyes! I feel violated.

1 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

So on the one hand I spoiled your enjoyment of the game, but on the other, I saved about 93 minutes of your life to do something else more productive, like watch France play Spain...

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home