Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Bowing to the Demands of Chinette

A paper plate told me to blog yesterday. I ignored it. It was still there, taunting me, when I came home last night. I am finally complying.

GSAM on Friday night was ... hectic. There were just a tad too many of us at the restaurant. They were all people that I like and have wanted to invited. The main problem was that everyone arrived at different times. The last couple came in a full hour after the first set sat down. The place was also a little more full than usual, so the waitress and kitchen were very harried. Also, the fish special was n-a-s-t-y.

I know better than to order fish "out." I mean, if I'm ordering fish, I will be dang certain that it is precisely what I want. There's no way I'd get it from the Thai place, no matter how much I love the Thai place. But at least four people ordered it and were woefully disappointed. I felt so bad because two of them were new to the restaurant. I feel personally responsible for this place and always want it to make a favorable impression. It did not make a favorable impression on one half of the table.

The other two newbies on "our" end of the table seemed to like it just fine. 2 out of 4 ain't that bad.

We watched a really long movie that turned out to not be as exciting on the second viewing as I thought it would be - "Pirates of the Carribean." I've talked to everyone since then and I think we were all fighting back yawns. All except The Polyglot, that is. That boy was driving me nutters saying every line of the movie. He thought he could get away with just moving his mouth and not actually uttering any syllables. But he obviously doesn't know how phenomenal my hearing is. I was literally about to banish him to the kitchen but he decided to behave himself just in time. No parlay for him!

Saturday was a complete bore. I watched Germany beat Portugal. That was good, though lonely - everyone else seemed to have plans.

Sunday was exciting. I caught the last half of THE MATCH at my friends' house. (These people need nicknames. They need GREAT nicknames. Nothing GREAT is coming to mind. They're almost too cool for nicknames.) The Polyglot, I Dunno and another couple watched with them. (I'll post separately about THE MATCH.)

After the match, I went to dinnner with the two couples and my brother and his wife. It was fun, particularly since the COOL couple are leaving this week and will be gone for two months. But it was also weird since these two couples are really good friends with my brother and his wife. I've never been in the same social circle as my brother. He was married by the time I was 12 and then had his first kid when I was 13. So we haven't ever really "hung out" together. (My sisters were both single until I was in my late teens and early twenties. And I lived with them - so I definitely was in their social circle even though there is an age difference.) It's hard to explain, it's just a little odd.

Anyway, after the nice but odd dinner, Kimi Stewart came over and we watched "My Date With Drew." This is one of my favorite-ist movies ever. It's so fun and inspiring. You feel like you can do anything after you've seen it. I would love to make it a GSAM selection, but I'm never sure that other people will like it as much as I do. (My brother-in-law's mother hated it and walked out half-way through. She grumbled about the main guy being a loser who just needed to get a job. I guess she didn't find it very inspiring.)

Kimi then spent the night with me. Yay. I hope the futon was comfortable.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i slept like a baby! I think it was the cozy pillows. I don't know if I thanked you for the wake up call. The alarm we set would have been great had it not been set on silent. The little red flash just wouldn't do the trick. I am glad the plate performed its duty, and of course that you performed yours! I really enjoyed myself. Thanks again! ...ps nothing about b3?

5:05 PM  
Blogger Affable Olive said...

I love the futon...so comfy. Makes me sleepy thinking about it.

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like a good choice for GSAM but maybe for a smaller crowd? A crowd who doesn't talk back to the screen?

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home