Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

It's Layoff Season Again

Last week I heard that my old company was going to have a big layoff.  One of my friends sent me her personal email because she was fairly certain that she was going to be cut.  Remembering what a bad day my old boss had had when he let me go, I called him to see how he was doing.  I was nervous for him because he's got a new boss who, by all accounts, doesn't know how to manage IT.  I was worried that this new boss would let my old boss go.  But then a part of me kinda wished that it would happen because I would follow my old boss to a new company in a heartbeat. 

Well, the person who'd first told me about the layoffs was let go.  That was sad because she had been there for around 14 years.  But it wasn't completely unexpected given the market conditions and the fact that she was middle management.  Then there was an issue with another of my friends who may (or may not) have escaped by the skin of their teeth.  I still don't know the outcome on that one.

With all this news going on at my old company, I didn't spare a thought for my current company.  A coworker came into my office this morning to ask why my boss was cleaning out his desk.  I had no idea since we sit on opposite sides of the building.  As my coworker and I were contemplating the possibilities, my boss called and asked me to go down to his office.  It's a long walk to my boss' office.  I knew there were two scenarios: 1) he had been let go, but I was safe or 2) the company had decided to dump our software package and we were both being let go.  I have to admit that I was selfishly rooting for the first option. 

Well, that first one happened.  My boss, the guy who hired me, is gone.  I will now report to his boss, the CFO.  Yep, that's the same CFO who has barely spoken three sentences to me in the year that I've been here.  So, this should be interesting. 

[and now a word from our sponsors...]



Windows Live Hotmail and Microsoft Office Outlook – together at last. Get it now!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ug. Im sorry. Im glad you still have your job - I just know it's nerve wracking to have the changes happening around you. Some stability would be nice.

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home