Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Minor Shout Out

Flickr is more than just sharing photos with your friends.  It is sharing photos with the world.  People who sign up for accounts (as Affie, P June and Poly have done) can leave comments on photos that they like.  If they really like a photo, they can click the little star button above the image to designate it as a "Favorite."  When a photo has a significant number of Favs and Comments, Flickr will designate it as "Interesting."  Interesting photos show up in a special section called "Explore."  If you want to see good or funny photos, click on the Explore link. 

I've only had one image show up in Explore - the shot I call "Food Chain" of the dolphin eating a fish - you know the one.  Since I've been correcting/improving all my Asian photos, I have been doing everything I can think of to get people to look at them.  If they like them, I hope they will Fav them.  Hopefully I will get into Explore again.

Once you're in Explore, you will get a lot of views, comments and favs.  But in order to get to Explore, you have to already have plenty of views, comments and favs.  So there are two things to do: add your images to groups (though not too many because Flickr tends to ignore images that are in "too many" groups) and add lots of people as your "Contacts."  Another way that you can notice new photos is to look at the ones being uploaded by your "Contacts."  There's hardly any contact between people who are designated as Contacts.  It's just a way to mark a person as someone who takes photos that you like.  Then you will have a "stream" to be able to see what they upload. 

I've been doing the Group thing but now I'm going to do the Contact thing.  I have traditionally had only a few Contacts.  I am going to start marking lots of people as Contacts.  I am also going to be less selective about other people's photos that I fav.  I used to only fav images that I thought were truly unique - something that made me lean back in my chair and say, "Whoa."  But now, I'm going to fav stuff that simply makes me say, "Huh - nice."  (Although some of the newest photos that I've faved are ones that made me say "Whoa.")

This is a really long discussion to say that one of the new groups that I've started to submit to keeps a separate blog here on Blogger.com.  The group moderators highlight what they consider to be the best images from that group by posting them to this blog.  That same dolphin photo was added to the blog they call "Flickr Soup for the Soul."  Check it out.

[and now a word from our sponsors...]



PC Magazine's 2007 editors' choice for best web mail—award-winning Windows Live Hotmail. Check it out!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool beans :)

i also love the one entitled "kindle your fascination"

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home