Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Friday, July 06, 2007

I really miss film

I love love love love love film.  I love Fuji Provia slide film and Ilford Delta B&W film.  The Provia had the right saturation level that I like in my landscape photography.  (For people shots, I used Kodak Portra, it was better for rendering skin tone.)  The Ilford Delta had the right grain and contrast levels.  Both were lovely films.

I can get some interesting stuff out of my digital camera, but it takes so much work.  With film, I didn't spend a lot of time "rescuing" photos.  I simply shot enough so that I'd eventually get one with the exposure I liked and that was the one I printed over and over.  But what I can do to my digital images is virtually limitless.  I can make them B&W, increase the contrast, leave one item in color, punch up the saturation, dodge and burn fairly easily.  It's a tad overwhelming.  But it's also disheartening that my images honestly look like crap until I monkey around with them.

So, all of this is to say that I've been monkeying around with my China trip photos.  If you head over to Flickr, you'll see some new ones posted in my stream.  But I've also replaced some of the original ones after correcting the color levels.  Currently, the difference is most obvious in my Xi'an photo set.  I've only fixed a few of the Terracotta Army photos.  Even in the thumbnail view, you can see the dramatic difference. 

I am particularly interested in the heavily manipulated images at the beginning of my stream.  Take a look and leave a comment to let me know if I'm on the right track or if I'm way off base.

Super Saturated
http://flickr.com/photos/missroon/733196647/
http://flickr.com/photos/missroon/734018122/

Black & White punched up contrast
http://flickr.com/photos/missroon/733336806/

Black & White with one item in color
http://flickr.com/photos/missroon/732356929/

Oh, and there are new photos of the kids, too.  Check back next week to see new pics of Mehsha getting baptized.

[and now a word from our sponsors...]




Missed the show?  Watch videos of the Live Earth Concert on MSN. See them now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home