Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Monday, March 05, 2007

Errands

I went to the bank today to get traveler's checks (or cheques, if you prefer).  This money thing has been the subject of much debate betwixt me and Poly.  I have read several things that say cash and traveler's checks are best.  But he says he's read that ATMs are prevalent.  I was dead set that he was wrong until this morning when I read something that said ATMs may be easier in big cities than traveler's checks.  But I had to make a decision, so I went with the traveler's checks.  They served me well in Moscow (though I did have to find a special office to cash them). 

I did feel a little strange asking for a specific amount of cash in "ones."  I read in a few places that $1 bills are easy to bargain with and easy to tip with.  So I want to have plenty on hand.  Singles just carry such a negative connotation in our society.  Hopefully the teller doesn't think I'm going to do in Asia the same things Asian businessmen do over here...

Anyhoo, I spent like 45 minutes at the bank at lunch today.  The teller was chatty because she's going to Beijing in a couple of weeks.  I was going to chat with her until I realized that doing so was only extending how long it took her to help me.  Suddenly I noticed that every teller was a different nationality.  I work in a pretty Asian-centric area.  So there were a couple of Asian tellers, including those who were actually speaking an Asian language to their Asian customers.  There were a few Latinas.  And my teller was some kind of white Eastern European, possibly Germanic.  I would normally have asked where she was from, but that would have delayed her even more, so I curbed my curiosity.  At least I got a little eye candy when the more sophisticated, less greasy twin of Cristiano Ronaldo stepped up to the counter next to mine.  The bank was a mini-UN in action!

I also notified my bank that I'd be traveling so that they won't shut down my card if I have to use it over there.  I then called my credit card companies to give them the same information.  How do they say, "Ma'am, your card has been declined" in Chinese? 

Yesterday, I went to Walgreens to stock up on over-the-counter meds.   I think I'm good.  Except maybe not on cold medicine.  I didn't buy any, but maybe I should.  Well, I have to go back to Walgreens later this week to pickup my prescription.

My coworker has asked me twice if I've done my "test pack."  While I have not actually done a test pack, over the past couple of weeks, I have thought about little else than what I'm taking and how it will best fit in the suitcase. 

Scheduled for later in the week:  a final batch of laundry, packing and a much needed haircut. 

My hair has been driving me bonkers for the last two weeks, but I didn't want to cut it too early.  I am waiting until Thursday evening to have it cut so that it won't get too long until after I'm home.

[and now a word from our sponsors...]



Get news, entertainment and everything you care about at Live.com. Check it out!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang. That's some lovely eye candy.

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home