Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Movie Update

I watched two movies on Friday night.  I wanted to see Music and Lyrics with Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore.  Since I couldn't think of a soul who would want to go with me, I took off a couple of minutes early from work to catch the 5:15 show at the theater on my route home from work.  While I was in line to buy my ticket, I noticed a movie called Amazing Grace.  I'd never heard of it, but from the poster it looked like a period piece - which naturally captured my interest.  I noted in my little brain that it was PG (maybe PG-13) and that the next showing was sometime after 7:00. 

Oddly enough, the movie I'd gone to see played the trailer for Amazing Grace.  Yeah.  Totally my kind of movie.  A period piece about the Member of Parliament who struggles his whole life to outlaw slavery.  Check.  I'll be seeing that one.

So anyway on to the movie at hand: Music and Lyrics.  It's not terribly original.  It's a replay of two other movies I've seen before, Paris When It Sizzles and Alex & Emma, neither of which did much of anything at the box office (not that I was around for the first one).  Two complete strangers meet and have to write something, in this case a song, within a pretty unreasonable deadline.  The two lock themselves away in the man's apartment and (I don't think I'm really spoiling anything here) fall in love in the process.  The small variation in this movie is that the woman is more than the secretary or stenographer.  She is an essential part of the creative team.  (The other two movies feature men reciting their screenplay or novel to a secretary/stenographer.)  Also unlike the previous movies, we don't get to see the fictional characters act out the story that is created by the two "real" characters since they write a song. 

However, neither of the other movies show us gloriously horrific 80's era music videos featuring a lip-synching, hip shaking, pelvis thrusting, hair flopping Hugh Grant.  Can you say, "Like, totally awesome?"  Hugh Grant's character was a member of a band that is very obviously based on Wham! and unfortunately for him, he's not the George Michael character.  He's the "Where Are They Now" Andrew Ridgley-esque has-been who now headlines high school reunions.  As a woman in her 30's who happens to think that Hugh Grant is really funny, I have to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed myself.  I don't think I've giggled so much at an opening scene in quite a long time (the aforementioned 80's era video).

This movie also brought me one of my all-time favorite lines ever.  Drew Barrymore's character and I share an annoying habit.  At one point, Hugh looks at her and says, "You look mad, maybe you should click your pen."  That's right, she's a pen clicker.  I don't think anyone else laughed after that line, but I was guffawing.

To sum up, it's not going to win any awards, but it's cute enough for a rental at least.  But if you're my age and like Hugh Grant or Drew Barrymore, I won't think less of you for seeing it in the theater.

And I did pop in to see Amazing Grace.  Get ye to a theater now to see this movie.  It lives up to the first word in it's title. 




Discover the new Windows Vista Learn more!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to see Music & Lyrics and am interested in Amazing Grace, so I guess I have 2 more to add to my list.

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home