Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Monday, January 29, 2007

Trip Talk

I was talking with some coworkers about my trip last week.  There were a couple of interesting details in this conversation.  First, one of my coworkers, who will get a name as soon as I think of a suitable one, went to China on a teen church group trip.  He's asked me to bring back a particular t-shirt because, according to his wife, it was one of only three shirts he wore when they began dating.  For some odd reason, it shrunk in length, but doubled in girth, so it's not even suitable for his wife or child to wear.  (It actually sounds like it would fit me perfectly.) 

The other funny thing is that one of my female coworkers asked me if I'd started packing yet.  The two men laughed.  Ignoring them, I replied, "I haven't packed yet, but I've been thinking about doing a test pack."  Again, the guys thought that sounded hysterical, but the girl totally understood me.  She even gave me a couple of good packing tips. 

I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what to pack to accommodate the potential weather differences.  I just looked up the latitudes of each major city we'll be visiting.  I was a little disappointed - basically, latitude can't really tell you anything about potential weather.  For example, Beijing is on about the same latitudinal line as Washington, D.C., Indianapolis and Aspen.  Obviously, there are other facts that cause each of those cities to have very unique weather patterns.  But if I had to pick one, I'd say that Beijing's weather is probably closer D.C.'s than the others.  And I'm really surprised at how far south Hong Kong is.  The only State that compares to it latitudinally (at 22 degrees) is Hawaii, which isn't totally surprising.  But it is surprising that Key West is north by 2 degrees.  Again, it is amazing how other factors cause one place to be hotter than Baptist hellfire, while the other is a tropical paradise.

Regardless, we're talking about the average high's starting in the low 50's and going up to the mid 70's by the end of the trip.  How do I pack for that AND pack light AND keep room to bring home lots of cheap Asian crap?

See?  I need to do a test pack!




Live Search: New search found Try it!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a definite science to packing. We totally understand the weather challenges as leaving the states in December is was about 50 degrees and arriving in Namibia it was "baptist hell hot".

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suggestion - mail the cheap Asian crap back to the states. Then you don't have to pack it.

I did that with a few things when we were in Nice many moons ago since we were traveling stand by and had all our luggage as carry on.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Affable Olive said...

For your clothes, layer. Bring undershirts and stuff, but just a few tops. I'm sure y'all will stay at a hotel long enough to send your dirty laundry to be done. I know at least one of the hotels looks to be of that sort of caliber when Poly sent my a piccy. No Super8 or Motel6 on that trip. Plus, bring only your favorites that you wear a lot. Inevitably, I'll pack something different for each day, and wear the same pants two or three times and recycle a t-shirt or two. It's not like you're going to be getting down and dirty either, which would force you to bring something different for each day.

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to be contrary, but be cafeful with the mailing idea. Not all postal services are equal.

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home