Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Musing on the new job

When I was hired on permanently, I moved from the "boring" side of the building to the "lively" side.  Even though I'm now separated from my boss by what seems like miles of office space, I'm now closer to the people I actually support.  I continue to be amazed at how much I seem to have in common with the various people at this place.  You know, you get into a familiar place after 12 years where you've known people for so long and you think that no place will be as good or as interesting. 

You all know about my newish obsession with soccer.  The thing is, no one at my old job had any interest whatsoever in the beautiful game.  That's why it is so amazing to me that there are like 5 guys here (including my boss) who actually play soccer on an indoor team.  Not all of them follow soccer on tv like I do, but at least one does...and I sit next to him.  Also cool is that the team that my coworkers play on just won their league championship (without my boss who is out due to injury).  These guys have a miniature soccer ball that they sometimes kick around in the halls.  (The last person who sat in my office HATED it when they did that.  She got so fed up one day that she took their ball and hid it.)  The other day, the little soccer ball rolled into my office and I kicked it back out.  That was very different behavior than they were used to.  The guy who sits next to me has one of those half soccer ball decals that is stuck to his office window so that it looks like a ball cracked the glass and is stuck there.  I notice it almost every time I walk into my office.  It never fails to bring a smile to my face, partly because in my imagination I envision the Thierry Henry super expensive lifesized wallbanger hanging on one of my walls.  (If only...)

All this soccer love ... it's just one of those things that would have meant nothing to me a year ago.  Now it is part of what makes this place enjoyable.




Get connected - Use your Hotmail address to sign into Windows Live Messenger now. Connect now!

1 Comments:

Blogger Affable Olive said...

A "pretty good year" observation brought to you by horse.n.buggy...

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home