Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Monday, March 05, 2007

H&B, The Limited Edition

I'm sitting here, pouring a BC Headache powder into a white styrofoam cup of Sunkist soda (the orange flavor masks the bitter taste of BC) and reading about a guy named Garrett Morgan.  Garrett Morgan invented the safety hood, or gas mask, in 1912.  Where am I reading this completely useless information?  On the packet of the BC powder.  Excuse me, on the "Limited Edition" package of BC Powder. 

Limited Edition?  Yes.  Limited Edition.  I'm told in fancy print to "Collect all 6 versions" and to "Learn more about the people who built this country at bcpowder.com."  I'm sorry.  But the one and only reason I "collect" BC powder is to cure a mean headache.  And when I have a mean headache, I'm not exactly in the mood to scour the net learning about the people who "built this country."   Excuse me while I channel Andy Rooney...

Since when does every product have to be a collector's item?  Why can't we just buy something because it performs its function better than the competition?  Not every children's movie that hits the theaters is a classic.  10 years from now, will we really care about all fourteen plastic Happy Meal toys from the movie "Someone's Sleeping Under Virginia's Bed But Her Magical Toothbrush Will Save the Day?"  I'm not going to be able to unload these things on eBay.  What should I do with 6 Limited Edition versions of BC Headache Powder after I collect them?  Is there a museum or a black market for these things?  If so, why and how did it start?  Should I start saving my plastic spoons from Wendys after I've eaten with them?  Will they be collector's items some day?

[and now a word from our sponsors...]



Get news, entertainment and everything you care about at Live.com. Check it out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home