Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Monday, October 23, 2006

Weekend Update

I know y'all get sick of reading about the things I do in my life and would rather read my witty reactions to things I see and hear.  Tough.  This is what you're getting today.

Friday
I met a few friends from the south side for Martinis and IMAX.  There was T, who you know I adore and need to spend more time with.  She brought along the photos we shot a couple of months ago.  Not all of them were bad - a commentary on the photographer, not the subject.  I particularly liked some of the "country girl calendar" shots.  And I'm convinced that the perfect portrait location is in the front yard of the couple too cool to name. 

Also in the group were Nickel and Wintertown.  They are the coolest couple.  He was the school overseer in Forest Park.  I got her a job at the last place I worked.  There are just no words to describe their fabulousness.  I have intended to have them up to my house for a year now.  I should probably get around to it...

Finally, there was Li'l Comet.  She is a girl I've known for years.  She's quiet, but fun.  That often means that people mistake her for shy, but she continues to grow out of that the older she gets.  I invited her even though I didn't think she would come.  But lo and behold, she showed up.  I was thrilled that I got to hang out with her for the first time in years.

Dearly missed was my Ali-gail who thought she took 75 South from Stockbridge to get to Fernbank.  Ah, sweet confused adorable little Ali-gail!  How we love her for all that she is...

We saw Dolphins.  I was going to say that it was great except there was a very annoying technical difficulty...and a creepy man.  The technical difficulty was that the sound track was about 1 minute behind the film.  So we would watch the images and wait a minute to hear the sound that went with them.  But since all this was continually going on, we would have to also be watching new images while listening to the sound from the images of 1 minute ago.  I think they were trying to see if we were as smart as the dolphins.

And the creepy man?  He was a character in the film.  He swims off the coast of some exotic location.  He meets up and plays with a lone dolphin.  Every day.  This is not his job.  He does this for fun.  OK, sounds cool.  But every day?  In a banana hammock?  Creeeeepy.  During the film, he had to leave for 4 months.  It was the first time in like 15 years that he wasn't going to swim with the dolphin every day.  He was terribly nervous that the dolphin would forget about him.  But after giving him the cold shoulder for about 20 minutes, the dolphin finally warmed up to him and they played like lost lovers again.  Creeeeepy.

Saturday
Service until far too late in the afternoon to only count 2 hours.  I went to a movie by myself that evening - Marie Antoinette.  It won't be in theaters long so if you want to see it, get ye there forthwith.

Sunday
Meeting and a nice gathering at my brother's house.  My sister-in-law is studying with a really cool girl who is a classically trained opera singer.  We forced her to sing for us.  I was sitting very close to her and was actually a little worried about my eardrums a couple of times.  But it was very cool even if I couldn't understand a word of the Italian she was singing.  Just as entertaining as that was listening to stories from our WT conducter and his wife.  I hereby appoint them as Naturalized Irishmen for their ability to spin a good yarn.  Also in attendance from the blogosphere: Book Reader, Kimi Stewart and, of course, The Polyglot.




Try the next generation of search with Windows LiveT Search today! Try it!

3 Comments:

Blogger Affable Olive said...

Hehe, I heard about that. Gosh, I really wish I could just up and move to y'all's side of town. I could improve my speech. I'm getting so bored with bonfires and bbq...

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another southside friend is in town . . . but not for much longer.

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HnB, you should hitch a ride in Reni's luggage! or something more comfortable.

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home