Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Monday, October 09, 2006

Weekend Update

Friday
I cooked spaghetti for a few friends on Friday night.  We watched "Stick It."  As I feared, all the good lines were in the trailer.  But I didn't expect the rest of the lines in the movie to be so confusing.  Not only could we barely understand the actual words the actors said, but once we got 'em, they didn't make any sense.  Kimi's friend (I'll call him Jason Bateman because Hoops thinks that he looks like, uh, Jason Bateman) recommended that we turn on the subtitles.  I never thought "Stick It" would be a "subtitle film."  I think I understood more of the dialog from "Hero" ... in Cantonese.  But the company was delightful and sometimes you need a bad film over which to laugh and bond.  (Just wait until I make y'all watch "The Last Dragon.")

Saturday
I shot Russian people.  OK, he is American; she is Russian/Azerberjani.  I've known her since like a week or two after she immigrated to this country at age 11.  She and her mother thought it was fabulous that someone in their new congregation spoke Russian.  We met at their second meeting and my first in that congregation.  You think someone arranged for me to be there for them? 

Anyway, she got married over the weekend.  The wedding was not a last minute thing, they'd been planning it for a while.  Or really, they'd picked the date out a while ago.  They didn't actually get around to the planning part until the last minute.  It turned out fine, but a lot of people put in a lot of work to make it go smoothly.  It was a really long day.  I got there at 10:30 to shoot her getting ready and didn't leave the reception hall until after 9:00.  I didn't get home until after midnight. 

My main lens is broken, so I had to shoot with a friend's digital camera.  A few of the images turned out really well, but most of them need serious enhancing - too dark around her eyes.  But I told them it was a crapshoot going in.  So what they get is what they get.  There are enough decent shots to hopefully satisfy them.

Sunday
I was worn slap out after the wedding.  I had no idea that I wouldn't be able to move the following day.  Add that to the list of reasons why I hate shooting weddings.



Share your special moments by uploading 500 photos per month to Windows Live Spaces Share it!

7 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

Yes, Friday at your house was scrumptrulescent. Had a great time.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Escalante said...

scrumptrulescent

...wow....

12:33 PM  
Blogger Horse N. Buggy said...

I'm not sure if that is a comment on my cooking or the company...

And if it is about my cooking, too bad. It took too long to make all that to do it on a regular basis. I started cooking as soon as I got home from work at 4:30. Frau Adorable and Number 11 (and my boys) caught me still cooking when they arrived at qtr to 7. I was cooking for over 2 hours straight and the salad and bread were prepackaged dealies!

12:40 PM  
Blogger Alan said...

Both. It's hard to make two hours seem like not two hours when you don't enjoy cooking. I do. Mom Does. Dad doesn't unless it's grits, eggs, and bacon (but usually only after 6 pm). It's become a hobby in this house (for at least one person).
The scrumptrulescenticity was in reference to the cooking and the company. Delightful.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Horse N. Buggy said...

The thing is, it's the time it takes that I hate about cooking. On a daily basis, I'm too hungry to wait through the hour or more it takes to cook dinner. On special occassions like this one, I don't mind the cooking part. I am just always surprised by how long it takes.

I don't remember where I got the recipe for that spaghetti sauce. It was from some "healthy" cooking thing. At this point, I only remember the basics - I make up most of it as I go along. I always use whole tomatoes. But next time I want to use diced. I don't like how clumpy the whole tomatoes end up in a bowl.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Affable Olive said...

Rice takes 20 minutes AND it tastes great. You'll get used to cooking H'n'B. I enjoy it because I like cleaning up my messes.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Escalante said...

I LOVE to cook - even if it takes all day - as long as I have all day.

When I don't, I am totally a 30 minute meal girl. Rachael Ray is my hero.

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home