Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Monday, April 10, 2006

"It's a tap dancing show"

But much less gay than it sounds. In fact, the media calls Tap Dogs, "Hot, hunky and highly inventive," and "raw pulsating energy." I so agree. I saw Tap Dogs several years ago in Las Vegas. They were the highlight of my trip. When I found out that they were coming here, I flipped. I really wanted to take my mother to see them so I bought tickets. It turned out that she wasn't able to go, but The Polyglot said he would go instead.

Saturday morning came and The Polyglot backed out. I called everyone on planet earth who I knew wasn't already busy (going to an assembly, working for my brother, or in Africa) to see if they wanted to go. I didn't know I could be rejected that many times in one day. I was even trying to give the ticket away - no go. When The Doctor started harassing her husband about going with us, he finally came up with the name of a sister in our congregation who is a tap dancer. Well duh, why didn't he think of her earlier? She was ecstatic about the invitation. Cool.

So we all went to the show and had a lovely time - even The Doctor's son. He was slightly belligerent that afternoon because his mother and aunt were dragging him to a stupid tap dancing show. I didn't bother to try to convince him that he'd like it. I knew that he would love it once the show started. Who was right? I was, of course. He stood up and clapped with as much enthusiasm as his mother each time we called them back for an encore.

So what kind of show is Tap Dogs? That's where I have trouble - I can't really explain it. At the core it is a tap dancing show. But the guys are ultra-masculine, there's not a top hat in sight. The guy who created the show/company was (and technically still is) a welder or machinist or something really blue-collar like that. All the guys in the show wear jeans or just regular shorts. They wear anything from flanel shirts to t-shirts to wife beaters. Their taps are on work boots. They chew gum while they're dancing. This is not your average tap dancing show. The props and sets they use are all things from a normal guy's life - basketballs, steel saws, ladders, rock climbing harness gear...you name it. They combine it all in a fast paced, high energy show that boggles your mind. The show lasts for about 80 minutes. That's not nearly long enough.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds very interesting! Glad you're exposing the kids to culture.

BTW, interesting that you get heckled for not posting, and then you post (brilliantly!) and no response? perhaps polyglot should switch back to caffeinated (sp?).

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home