Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

I'm losing my cred.

I have a confession to make. I bought ... an ... (I can barely say it) ... iPod.

What is this world coming to? Does "Horse N. Buggy" become "Horse Les Carriage?"

To make matters even worse, Im getting annoyed at one of my VCRs. Them new tapes I just bought have a really bad squealing sound during playback. I'm not sure if the problem is in my machine or the tapes. I've caught myself ruminating on the DVR commercials lately - even working out in my head that I'd need a cable splitter to be able to watch TV and record at the same time, but then I'd probably need a signal booster before the splitter so the feed wouldn't degrade. D'oh! I'm moving up to "Stood E. Baker."

Back to the post at hand... Why did I buy an iPod? Here's the little twist that I always seem to throw at technology. I couldn't justify buying an iPod just for my music. I have never been one to listen to music anywhere except in my car. Based on my "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy, an iPod was completely unnecessary. I have a CD player in my car and tons of CDs.

What has changed? I've recently immersed myself into the world of podcasting. Not actually 'casting, but listening to podcasts. I subscribe to podcasts from NPR and a couple of other sources. The podcasts cover everything from pop culture to technology to etymology. I want to listen to these in my car on the way to and from work. In order to do that I have to convert the mp3 files over to wavs (often tripling their size) then burn them to CDs. I can then listen to the CDs in my car. After I've listened to the CD once, I'm done with it. There is no reason to hang on to it. That's a lot of work...and I've run out of blank CDs.

I finally recognized that it made sense for me to have an mp3 player. I started checking out all the cheapo units. Based on capacity vs price, the best deal turned out to be a reconditioned 4th generation HP branded 20 GB iPod. I don't think HP makes these anymore and iPod has moved on to 5th generation, so technically I'm still buying outdated technology. That should allow me to maintain my "Buggy" cred. But I am very excited that FedEx says it should arrive today. Of course, FedEx can't ever find my house on the first try so I'll probably get it next week.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have my own confession...yesterday I became an Ingles advantage buy member.

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, maybe if you had bought a used Rio Karma w/ a 20 gig hard drive, you would have ended up with mine THAT GOT STOLEN IN THE PUBLIX PARKING LOT. I HATE PUBLIX. Not really; their deli is good, but i hate their parking lots.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Horse N. Buggy said...

That would never have happened in the Ingles parking lot. They're nacho average grocery store. They have a security guard on duty. And boy does he work hard!

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was that the same guy that tried to explain how he heard you could transmit the signal of a keyless entry thingy for your car through your cell phone, so that if you were on the phone with your buddy who had your remote entry, he could hold it to the phone and it would unlock your car if you were next to it? Yeah that guy. He probably talks to animals and chews tobacco.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Horse N. Buggy said...

I don't know about the cellphone, but I do know that your brain will enhance the signal of your remote. If you're too far from your car to open it by holding the remote in the air, put it up to your chin and look towards the car. The signal goes through your skull and brain, is somehow amplified, and will then unlock your car. They didn't explain THAT at the Bodies exhibit!

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It acts as an antenna. They also say if your keyless entry is the other end of your key, like in most new VWs, Range Rovers, BMWs, and also every other car, instead of pointing the key at the car while pushing the button, they say to point the key up because it acts like an antenna and works from farther away

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home