Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Monday, January 23, 2006

Livin' The Lonely Life No More

My cousin moved in this weekend. He dropped his stuff off on Saturday and then officially moved in on Sunday. I wasn't feeling well either day, so I was more dubious about this idea than I'd hoped to be. I think it will be fine, but only time will tell...

Phone. He had more phone conversations yesterday evening than I've had all month...except for him calling me.

Parking. We have to figure out how to make the car situation work. I have a two car tandem garage. The rules of my neighborhood association say that all vehicles are to be parked inside the garage. If you have a third car, it can then be parked in your driveway. Under no circumstances is a car to be left in the visitor parking across the street for a period longer than 24 hours. A guy four houses down from me refuses to park anywhere but the street...and not the street in front of his house, either. I'm not going to complain about Mr. I Can Park Anywhere I Dang Well Feel Like, mostly because I know my builder Job is aware and annoyed about the situation. Regardless, I'm not going to get us in trouble by doing the same thing.

Since I leave before Roomie in the morning, I need to be the back car. But then I will get home before him so I will be the front car. Every night we're going to have to shuffle the cars around. Does anyone have any good ideas? I guess I could park on the street until he comes home. But again, I don't want to do anything to annoy my neighbors. (And parking on the street is hazardous because there is still construction going on.)

Food. He cooks. I don't. I haven't been to the grocery store in a while, so it looks like I don't use my cabinets. I have two lazy susans in my kitchen that are great for storage. He looked at one and said, "Since you don't use this one, do you mind if I use it?" Uh, it's not that I don't use it, I've just eaten everything that was on it. My freezer is now full, but not with my food. My frig has more than just film in it. I need to get to the store. If I see him eating, I'm going to want to eat and I don't want to eat his food. I always hated it when my last roommate ate my food. But she would open a restaurant take-out container and eat my left-overs. Even if we were sharing groceries, that is a BIG no-no. Am I right?

Storage. I have to find a place for the few things I was storing in his closet. It was junk like old sweaters that are just a little bit too small for me. If I lose a little bit of weight I can wear them again. I guess the question is Will I wear them again? I really liked them at the time, but do they match my style now? And if so, should they or do I need to update my style? Anyone want some big old-ish clothes?

UGA. Roomie is a BIG UGA fan. I considered getting a Tech flag to hang outside my house just for his benefit but found out that it is against the neighborhood covenants. I wasn't surprised to see him lug in a couple of pieces of Georgia memorabilia. I ushered them right up to his room. He can keep that ugly stuff in his room. But I got suckered into letting him keep one hideous piece out in the living room. It's a plaster statue of the UGA dog, excuse me, dawg. It's painted with the Georgia colors and yadda yadda yadda. So why did I grant harbor to that hideous beast? It was painted by "Uncle David."

How do I explain David? First, I'll try to explain the family connection. You try to keep up. My dad is #5 of 11 children. Sister #6 has two daughters. #6's first daughter, 06.01, is the mother of Roomie, making him 06.01.01. #6's second daughter (06.02) married David, making him 06.02h (h is for husband). (If you keep up with the nicknames I use, 06 = Talks with Phone at Ear. 06.01 = My Biggest Fan. 06.02 = Bobsey Twin #2.) Moving on to sister #11 (Let Me See You Do That), she married a man from a local family that our family had always known (Papa Bear or 11h). As often happens in small cities (and big families), 06.02h and 11h were brothers. (I know you've heard of brothers marrying sisters, but in this case two brothers married an aunt and a neice.) So David was uncle to the children of sister #11, my cousins. He was also brother-in-law to my cousin 06.01 and since he was married to my cousin, I considered him to be my cousin (they were married when I was fairly young). He was also uncle to Roomie because he married his aunt (06.02). Got it?

I am obviously using the past tense for a reason. David died a little over a year ago. He was one of the most wonderful persons I've ever known. He was the most perfect example of a Renaissance Man. He painted, drew, played drums, worked on cars, worked on houses, worked on jets, danced, loved life and people. Everyone who met him simply adored him. He was an amazing man.

And that is why Roomie gets to put his hideous little dawg in my living room...because it will be a daily reminder of David.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! A GT fan and a UGA fan living under the same roof. perhaps we should "real world" this arrangement.

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home