Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

American Expressing

American Express is running a pretty cool ad campaign right now. I know you've seen the commercial with Kate Winslet where she talks about all the roles she's done. The magazine ad is a questionaire filled out by a few different celebrity-types. I ripped out the questionaire from a magazine at my last doctor's appointment so that I could answer these questions on my blog. If you feel like sharing your own answers, please do.

My Name: Horse N. Buggy

childhood ambition: To entertain people. It didn't matter how - singer, actress, magician - I put on all kinds of shows for my family. I lived to make people laugh and clap. I used to create commercials in the bathtub. I'd notice grime under the tub faucet, talk to my invisible audience about how difficult it was to keep that clean, get out the miracle cleaner I was "selling" and wipe the grime away to the astonished oohs and aahs of my imaginary audience. (Is that sad or what? I couldn't have been more than 4 when I was doing that.)

fondest memory: Walking into my cousins' house after the long car ride up to Savannah from South Florida. They'd been waiting on me all day and ran to attack me as soon as I walked in. It was an incredible feeling that someone liked me enough to be crazy happy just to see me.

soundtrack: This one is hard. I like so many different artists. If I go back to my first favorite song, it would be Bingo. If I go to my newest favorite it would be something from The Edison Project. In between those two you'll find Barry Manilow, Duran Duran, Bing Crosby, World Party, Garth Brooks, Jeff Buckley and several others.

retreat: My imagination. I could answer something continental like the ruins of Puxley Hall in Ireland or something more local like "Uncle Tom's" place in Key Largo. But the truth is that even in those places, my imagination keeps working, making them more enjoyable. In historic places I think about what kinds of people have been here before me. In picturesque places I think about what it would be like to live there year write a novel. My imagination is always my retreat, the physical place I'm in is just a better backdrop than my home or office.

wildest dream: Literally? The one where my family had to attend a formal dinner. I was jealous because my sister and cousin were seated next to Wolf Blitzer while I was stuck next to Gallagher. Figuratively? To be loved.

proudest moment: When my application to pioneer was approved.

biggest challenge: Being content.

alarm clock: Is set way too early for 4:30 and allows me to hit snooze way too many times.

perfect day: I'll let you know when it happens.

first job: Food runner at a seafood resterant.

indulgence: TV and chocolate.

last purchase: Does a toll road count? No? Lunch at Wendy's - spicy chicken sandwich and a medium frosty.

favorite movie: Of all time? The Princess Bride. Recently? My Date with Drew.

inspiration: Pop culture. I love parody.

my life: Is fairly boring.

my card: Is American Express, of course.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to copy this into an e-mail and send my answers to you

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home