Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

D'oh!

So, it turns out that my friend from the band is reading this here blog. (I guess he's been lurking until I forced him to defend his honor in a comment.) I want to clarify what I meant about liking The Edison Project more than Buffalo Alice.

Some of you old blog readers will remember how much I raved about a band called G.B Fuzz. G.B. Fuzz was made up of four members: Buffalo Bass, his wife Drummer Chick, her cousin Lead Singer Prima Don and non-related Lead Guitarist. I loved their music to the extreme. Now this new Buffalo Alice consists of: Lead Singer Prima Don, Buffalo Bass and a drummer that I don't know. They changed the sound of their songs quite a bit. And I really miss the other two members of G.B. Fuzz. The music is still good, but it's not the same. And they don't claim to be the same.

I was trying to think of a musical metaphor, some band who'd changed singers or line-ups and gone on to continued success but divided their fan base into pre and post changers. Genesis comes to mind - when they changed from Peter Gabriel to Phil Collins, but I don't feel strongly enough about that change.

Instead, I thought of what Lucas has done to Star Wars. He's gone back and edited the original film to make it look like Gredo shot first and Han Solo shot in reaction to that. In the original movie, Han shot first, without provocation. It's a small change. It doesn't matter to new fans. It doesn't really affect the quality of the movie. But you can't buy the original version of the movie, nor will it be played on TV ever again. If you want to see the original scene, you had to have purchased it or taped it off TV a long time ago.

Buffalo Alice has lots of new fans. Many people love their songs. But the songs that I fell in love with have changed. And if I want to hear them the original way, I can only resort to my one G.B. Fuzz cd - which I've naturally ripped to mp3's and have stored on my hard drive.

Anyway, you should all take a listen for yourself at: www.buffalice.com. My favorite G.B. Fuzz song was "Ezra." I have not decided which is my favorite Buffalo Alice song.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home