Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Monday, December 05, 2005

Why I'm a Dork

So I've been working with the guys in my neighborhood on a project. I gave them some software to test out for me. I stopped by the construction trailer today to let Super Fabulous Builder Man update me on the manual process he uses instead of this particular program. It's nothing fancy, but I wanted to hear him out to make sure I can meet all of his needs.

After we were finished and we were standing around shooting the breeze, he mentioned to me that he couldn't use the new program anyway since there was no power to his PC. Well, duh. I needed to know that last week when the problem occured. So I told him I could fix it.

I knew it would take a while to fix, but I'm not good at estimating time. Since I live in the neighborhood and they have a key to my house, I figured they would just let me have a key to the trailer and I could lock up. Super Fabulous Builder Man wouldn't hear of that. I don't know if he didn't trust me or what. He claims that he could not leave me there after dark with a good conscience. That freaked me out a little, 'cause I, uh, LIVE there. What kind of neighborhood does he think it is? If someone was gonna snatch me out of the trailer, they'd just as soon snatch me out of my house.

Anyway, while I'm updating the PC, he's chatting away about all kinds of things. I finally said something that rang a bell in his head. He said, "Oh yeah, when you're filling out the customer survey...don't bubble in your income range." I was a little confused. I remember filling out the survey. But I have looked for it in the online system - it's not there. The sales agent did not enter it. What I didn't realize is that they make a physical copy of the piece of paper and stick it in the job folder. That job folder sits in the trailer and anyone with access to those files can look at it. D'oh!

I was messing around on some of the questions when I filled that survey out. There's one question that asks who referred you to purchase from us. I put down the name of the CEO. And technically that is true, but I would not have written it if I'd realized how many people could look at the survey. So I believe all the guys in the neighborhood know my salary range. But we used White Out to mark through my answer so that no one in future can look through it. Peep show is over, move along, nothing to see here.

And THAT is why I'm a dork. (Well, I'm sure there are lots of other reasons, but that is why I'm a dork for today.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home