Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Another funeral

I found out this morning that the grandfather of Infectious Laughter's husband died yesterday.  Technically, I'd only met and spoken with him once.  But virtually everyone I know up here knew and loved him.  He was in his mid to late 80s and full of spunk.  I honestly haven't figured out who all the people in my cousin's husband's family are - like ours, it is a LARGE family. 

I do know that there was some kind of mutual respect between this man and my mother.  She thought he was a hoot and he thought she was ... as wonderful as she was.  In fact, the only time I sat down and spoke with him was in my mother's house when she was very ill.  After he found out that she was confined to the house, he came by to visit a few times.  My cousin tells me that the last time she saw him was at my mother's funeral.

I wish I had known him better.  All I can really tell you is that he was Italian.  He had a big family who loved him dearly.  And in the last couple of years of his life, he decided to learn to speak Spanish, though I'm not sure if he ever changed over to the Spanish congregation.  We were all blown away that he would even attempt to learn a new language so late in life.  But he loved it and recommended it to everyone.

His funeral is scheduled for this Saturday, 1:30, at our hall.  I'm not sure our hall is big enough, honestly.  My cousin and her husband are coming to stay with me.  The house is pretty clean, I just gotta organize the Barbie stuff a little better...and deal with the papers on the kitchen table.  The two biggest things I've got to do is get my car cleaned and get some food in the house.  I would like to at least have breakfast food for them.  With meeting tonight and photoshop class tomorrow night, that leaves me only Thursday to do most of this stuff.  I can make it work.  I can at least get my car done tomorrow night between work and class.

...and I need to call DrummerChick.  We've texted a few messages back and forth, but nothing meaningful.  This weekend is obviously out, but maybe I'll try to get with her the following weekend.

CRAP!  I just remembered that I have tickets to see Paula Poundstone on Friday night.  I don't know what I'm gonna do.


Test your Star IQ Play now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home