Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Monday, October 08, 2007

Mo' Money

While I am officially a published photographer now, I have not yet received any compensation for that service.  I simply haven't had time to follow up with the newspaper, not that I expect a significant amount of money.  You know that I have been paid for my work in the past.  I've sold a modest number of prints and greeting cards, mostly through the Savannah Art Association.  But that's been a while.

Well, today I got an email from a woman who works at a "boutique brand strategy & creative communications firm."  Her company is designing a branding solution for an investment company.  She would like to use one of my photos of Hong Kong in that branding campaign.  She's offered a decent price for my photo.  I mean, a really nice price.  Like, I have never even put this price on a piece of framed art.  But it's not going to pay for a new lens (well, not the kinds of lenses that I buy, anyway). 

I replied asking for more details on what kind of rights she wants to purchase.  I won't sign away all rights to this photo.  It's fairly common for a photographer to sell an image for a fair price thinking that it is going in one or two print ads and then see it splashed across billboards.  Once the company "owns" the rights to the image, there is nothing you can do to get it back.  The photographer has to be very careful how they word the licensing contract.  As I said, she's offering a pretty decent price.  So I'm guessing she wants to be able to use this image pretty heavily.  All I can do is wait and see.

[and now a word from our sponsors...]



Windows Live Hotmail and Microsoft Office Outlook – together at last. Get it now!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is so exciting!!!! I just hope they don't use it to sell garbage bags or underwear (witness Target's use of the the Beatles' Hello/Good Bye).

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How exciting!

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home