Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Friday, September 21, 2007

Not so in love with Jews right this moment

Y'all know I have a special fondness in my heart for the wit and sarcasm of Jewish men (and Mehsha).  But I'm more than a little peeved with Jewish holidays right now.  I ordered a fancy new lens for my camera back in the spring.  The order was put on hold until the lenses actually shipped from the manufacturer (yes, I'm trying to be an early adopter in this case).  But I thought that my order would process as soon as the lenses came in.  Isn't that the point of a "pre-order"?  Evidently not.  

I got an email a few weeks ago telling me that my pre-ordered lens was now available and I could order it if I wanted to.  Well, that's annoying.  I finally got around to calling last week.  The store, which is in NYC and run by Jews, was closed for the Jewish New Year.  (That reminds me of the year that T and I made it a point to get together with one of our friends on every Jewish holiday.  Good times.)  I saw a brief mention on the interweb that Yom Kippur begins tonight, so I made a quick call to the store to check on the status of my order.  I got a message stating that the store is closed for the holiday. 

Wait a second.  We ALL know that the Jewish day begins at sundown.  Yom Kippur doesn't begin until TONIGHT.  Why did they shut down today?  Are they milking this holiday thing?  I didn't know the Jews celebrated Yom Kippur Eve.  Yom Kippur is the Day of Atonement.  In Biblical times, this is when the whole nation would come together to place their sins on a goat and send it wandering off into the wilderness (thus introducing to our consciousness the concept of a scapegoat).  So, what?  They party up the night before so that they have even more sins for which to atone the next day?

I just checked Wikipedia (the greatest site on the internets).  I learned that Yom Kippur Eve is, in fact, a day of celebration.  It seems that Jews are required to fast for 25 hours on Yom Kippur.  They prepare themselves to last the whole day without food with a huge feast on Yom Kippur Eve. 

I still don't have an answer about the camera lens that I want to have before I go to the Grand Canyon because a bunch of yankee Jews are gluttoning themselves.  Oy vey.

[and now a word from our sponsors...]



Make your little one a shining star! Shine on!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home