Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Friday, September 14, 2007

My new career

I recently did two things to try to kick-start my career in communications.

First, I contacted the publishers of a new local newspaper to let them know that I would like to be an assignment photographer for them.  It's something I've wanted to do for a long time, but never got around to.  But a few weeks ago I was reading the second issue of a local paper and decided to finally give it a whirl.  I hit their website.  I filled out their "Contact Us" form, giving them my contact info and a link to my Flickr site.  I got a call from the Sports Editor less than a week later.  He liked my photos and put me down as someone they could call to cover community events.  I just spoke with him for the first time on Wednesday.  I lined up a couple of community events taking place this weekend that I thought they might be interested in. 

But, I just got a call from the Sports Editor asking me to cover a specific event tomorrow night.  I am psyched.  I don't know if I will be able to get in.  It is a fund raiser event for a local high school athletics department.  Tickets are $75 a pop.  I'm not paying that admission and neither is the paper.  But the Sports Editor said that he would try to talk to the Athletic Director tonight to let him know that I will be there.  I have that man's name if they try to give me a hard time at the door.  Hopefully, I will get in and get some good shots.  I am a little nervous about this being an indoor event.  I despise shooting with my flash.  Oh well, all I can do is aim, shoot and hope for the best.

Second, I submitted some work to a popular TV review blog site.  I don't know if I have a shot, but I'm hoping that they like my work and ask me to write for them.  I think this one is a long shot, but who knows?

[and now a word from our sponsors...]



Make your little one a shining star! Shine on!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I'm super late on commenting but that's really cool, on both counts.

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home