Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Vegas Ain't Cheap No Mo'

I'm going to a software convention in Vegas in October.  The convention is being held at my favorite hotel, The Venetian.  We get a special convention discount on rooms - $250 per night.  Seriously.  That's the discounted price.  I've looked all over and can't find a cheaper price for The Venetian anywhere online.  So, looks like we won't be staying at The Venetian.

I am scheduled to be in Dallas the week prior to the conference.  Since I will already be out there-ish, I thought that I would just fly from Dallas straight to Vegas.  (Our team may get to fly to Dallas on the corporate jet.)  So the decision has to be made about whether I spend the weekend in Dallas or in Vegas.  Now which do you think I'd prefer?  I have never seen the Grand Canyon, so I think I'd like to do that (or something similarly cool in Vegas). 

But dang!  Vegas is outrageously expensive.  I think the company will cover my flights.  But I don't expect them to cover my weekend hotel nights, not all of them at least.  So I'm trying to find a reasonably priced hotel that is clean and not full of smarmy Vegas gamblers.  Do you know how difficult that is?  I think I finally found a place that received a great review from Frommer's and people who've stayed there.  But the website is down as if they are no longer in business.  I can't see photos of the place.  I haven't called the phone number yet, maybe there is just something wrong with their website.  The only thing that makes me hesitate is that this place is in old downtown - the really kitchy part of Vegas.  Right now, I'm just not in the mood for that.  I don't know.  I'm just annoyed that nothing about planning this trip seems to be going my way.

Anyone have any free nights in a 4-star Vegas hotel on the strip that they'd like to gift me?

[and now a word from our sponsors...]



Kick back and relax with hot games and cool activities at the Messenger Café. Play now!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can i just say kitschy is The Perfect word to describe my perception of Vegas?

And why are they making the word verifications so squished together???

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wait, your company has a plane but they won't spring for the Venetian? Do they not realize that if their employees (present company excepted) don't stay at the hotel where the convention is being held, the odds of finding their way to the convention site in Vegas are, well, not good! I wonder what the line on something like that would be....

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home