Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Updates will be more frequent now

Two of the nurses working Mama's case have told us that they don't think Mama will make it past the weekend. I don't know what to think. No one really knows. But then again, these people do this for a living, they should recognize certain signs. All I can do is be there - not waste a single second.

Speaking of, my company is having a rah-rah gathering tomorrow afternoon. They're going bowling. Lunch and bowling is supposed to last until around 2:30 and then they're letting people go home early. I am skipping the whole thing. I'm not going to be stuck in a stupid bowling alley when there's a pretty real chance that my mother may die. My boss is being so supportive about all of this. I wish they could just put this bowling thing off for 2 more weeks. I hate skipping out on non-holiday related events.

I found out that my aunt and uncle are going home tomorrow. I'm glad they came, but I'm a little confused that they aren't staying longer. I think Daddy could use the company, especially if Mama does die this week.

The Doctor said that any dance-able music was a hit with Mama. She caught Mama trying to sing along as well. When I got to Mama's house, she had drifted off to sleep. One of her all-time favorite songs was playing, "Kansas City." I couldn't go in the room. That song conjures strong memories of Mama for me already, I don't ever, ever, ever want to associate it with her death. I went to the kitchen to eat dinner while she was sleeping.

Over the last few weeks, there have been certain times when Mama feels anxious. She fiddles with the stuff around and attached to her. She is restless and can't seem to shake the feeling of anxiety on her own. We have a pill that really helps to calm her down. But she can no longer swallow pills. So when she told me tonight, "I'm anxious," there was nothing I could do for her. I changed the music since I was playing a Bing Crosby/Rosemary Clooney CD that I particularly like, but I suspected that she didn't love it. I changed over to Johnny Mathis. I actually did out her anxiety pill under her tongue thinking that it would dissolve. It didn't. But she seemed to be a little more calm, maybe the non-dissolving pill acted as a placebo.

We have to plan what we're going to do with people after the memorial service. The last one I went to was held at a hotel (in the same room where we held the actual Memorial celebration this year). It was a catered lunch. I don't know what we're going to do.

4 Comments:

Blogger Affable Olive said...

A hotel? I've always been accoustomed to going back to somebody's house and everybody bringing food, but that's just me. I know my mom will cook up a storm. I can cook much better than six months ago.

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

affie, don't bring the fiery polish sausages.

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe no one's house is big enough for the massive crowd that will no doubt want to be there. And that's just family...

4:03 PM  
Blogger Affable Olive said...

Don't knock the khielbasa till you try it. So it's got about a lb of cayanne pepper in it. Wachoo gonna do about it?
Naw, I'd bring this roasted veggie and pasta dish. It's lighter italian and it's SO GOOD.
Yeah, they can probably make it to 100 people with family alone.

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home