Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

TV Update

I watch way too much television. I try not to impose that on my fair readers. I've decided to add a weekly (or close to weekly) update on the things I'm watching - what was good and what was bad.

My Recommendation: You really should be watching "Digging for the Truth" on The History Channel, Mondays at 9. It is an awesome show. The host explores mysteries from history that no one has been able to solve. In truth, he isn't able to solve them either. But he presents whatever evidence or theories exist and let's you have fun watching him run around. Last night he explored America's Pyramids. (I didn't know America had pyramids.) One of the most interesting things that happened last night...the host was almost killed by fire ants. That sounds sad, but he was just bushwhacking in Louisiana when he was attacked by tiny fire ants. He was able to give himself enough "epi" (whatever that is) in the field so that he could make it to the hospital. The ER docs said if he had not done so, he would have died on the way to the hospital. Now that's good TV.

Personal Favorite: As I recently informed you, I love "Stargate SG-1." There was a recurring guest character on the show a few years ago who was a personal favorite. Unfortunately, even though he was popular with many fans, they felt the need to kill him off. Two weeks ago, they finally found a way to bring his character back through the "science" of alternate realities. I couldn't care less that no such thing exists - it gave me a chance to see Martouf again and that's all that matters. I was beside myself with joy.

Best Line: Last week on "Boston Legal," the Alan Shore character uttered one of the funniest lines I've ever heard on episodic TV. At the end of each episode, Alan Shore (James Spader) and Denny Krane (Bill Shatner) sit together on Denny's terrace and discuss the events of the week/episode. During that particular episode, Spader and Shatner had not had many scenes together. So when Alan Shore walked onto the terrace and saw Denny, he said, "There you are. I haven't seen you much this episode." It was so unexpected for him to acknowledge that this is a TV show. I love it when writers or actors break the fourth wall. This was the best example I've seen of that in a long time.

Best Tribute: I love to watch awards shows. But I usually hate to sit through whatever Lifetime Achievement award they give out. However, that was not the case during the "SAG Awards." They honored Shirley Temple this year. She's led a pretty fascinating life. It's amazing how young she was when she started. I thoroughly enjoyed watching them review her films and her life. Her speech wasn't that interesting, but that's not exactly what she was known for.

Worst Snub: Joaquin Phoenix did not win for "Walk the Line" at the "SAG Awards." They gave his award to the dude from "Capote." Maybe he did a good job, but I really wanted Joaquin to win. Reese won, but I'm partial to Felicity Huffman even though I didn't see her movie - I just like her. I was happy that the dude from "Cinderella Man" won for supporting actor - that was a phenomenal movie.

Most "Meh": "American Idol" usually gives me lots of blog fodder. But so far it's been pretty "meh." Some good singers, some atrocious ones. Simon is strangely nice to some people and unaccountably rude to others. Paula and Randy are consistently bland. Hopefully it will get more interesting once the real competition begins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home