Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A list of food

The Polyglot sent me to a blog that lists these food items. I think they're supposed to be stuff that cool people should eat. Well, before I even read the list, I'm gonna guess that I've only eaten 5 things. Check my prediction at the end of the list.

1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
4) Optional extra: Post a comment here at www.verygoodtaste.co.uk linking to your results.

The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea (don't know what this is)
3. Huevos rancheros (this was the favorite Mexican dish of the man who owns the last company I worked for)
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile (I've had gater, so I'm counting it as croc)
6. Black pudding (isn't it black because of blood?)
7. Cheese fondue (one of my favorite things in the whole world)
8. Carp (I'd try just about any cooked fish)
9. Borscht (I like the brown kind better than the red kind)
10. Baba ghanoush (I would try this)
11. Calamari (not a fan)
12. Pho (I can't believe I've never had this)
13. PB&J sandwich (I'm actually not wild about this)
14. Aloo gobi (it contains ginger, no thank you)
15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses (sounds delicious)
17. Black truffle (shouldn't I be able to sniff this one out?)
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes (thank you Chatteau Elan)
19. Steamed pork buns (huh?)
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes (I'm just assuming that these have been in something I've eaten)
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans (Seriously? Do I get extra credit for actually cooking this on a regular basis?)
25. Brawn, or head cheese (never met a cheese I didn't like, I just haven't met this one yet)
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper (uh, no)
27. Dulce de leche (Hey! This was on The Mole finale!)
28. Oysters (again, not a fan)
29. Baklava (BIG fan)
30. Bagna cauda (fire it up, I'll try it)
31. Wasabi peas (thanks to Kimi Stewart)
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl (probably the only way I like clams)
33. Salted lassi (?)
34. Sauerkraut (keep yer rotten cabbage to yerself)
35. Root beer float (not a fan)
36. Cognac with a fat cigar (I suspect that I won't like cognac)
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail (I used to go to a restaurant that featured like, never tried it)
41. Curried goat (same restaurant also had this...there's more of a chance of me trying this than the oxtail)
42. Whole insects (I would never eat this by choice)
43. Phaal (Indian curry? no thanks)
44. Goat’s milk (not a big fan of milk, but I'm sure it wouldn't kill me)
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more (this would be wasted on me)
46. Fugu (OK, so I won't eat POISONOUS fish)
47. Chicken tikka masala (again with the curry, no thanks)
48. Eel (honestly, I have probably had this at some point and just don't remember it)
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut (duh)
50. Sea urchin (why?)
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi (this stuff corrodes metal lunch boxes and you want me to put it INSIDE me?)
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal (um, yesterday...)
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini (probably, I don't know, I'm not a big fan of martinis)
58. Beer above 8% ABV (?)
59. Poutine (OK, I love french fries and I love cheese and I love gravy, but this just does not sound appetizing)
60. Carob chips (Laughter's uncle used to eat carob while he worked out at her house, he always shared with us)
61. S’mores (Honestly, I only had these for the first time last year. Where had they been all my life?)
62. Sweetbreads (Like cornbread or banana nut bread? No, these are not breads at all. No, I don't eat glands.))
63. Kaolin (only in medicine or toothpaste, not as its own entity)
64. Currywurst
65. Durian (I was gonna strike this, but I actually would like to at least try it)
66. Frogs’ legs (Thankfully, I wasn't alive when Daddy made Mama cook a frog he killed on the golf course. True story.)
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis
69. Fried plantain (Under duress)
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette (Chitterlings? Who wrote this list? It's chitlins and NO, I have not and would not eat 'em.)
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini (True story, I loaded up some orange jam onto a piece of bread at someone's house in Russia. It wasn't until I bit into it that I realized that it was not orange jam, but orange cavier. Ugh. I finished it, but with trouble.)
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill (Do I have to unbold the croc, 'cause the gater I ate was roadkill? Same father who killed a frog on the golf course brought home fresh gater from the side of the road and made Mama fry up the tail. It was delicious.)
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail (Seriously one of my favorite things in all the world...cooked in garlic butter and covered with cheese.)
79. Lapsang souchong (sounds fabulous, just for the smell alone)
80. Bellini
81. Tom yum (We used to refer to this soup as "battery acid." Tom Ka was called "creamy battery acid.")
82. Eggs Benedict (Isn't this basically just an egg mcmuffin?)
83. Pocky (I had to look this up to realize that I had it in Japan.)
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.
85. Kobe beef (missed my chance)
86. Hare (never, never, never, never)
87. Goulash (I know this is Hungarian, but I'm sure I had this in Russia.)
88. Flowers
89. Horse (never)
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam (not a fan)
92. Soft shell crab (I'm just guessing here, 'cause I've eaten a LOT of crab in my life - Well, wikipedia says the most common is blue crab. Uh, yeah, blue crab is my favorite of all crab.)
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish (only if I were starving)
95. Mole poblano (I didn't know this had a specific name)
96. Bagel and lox (I would love to try this)
97. Lobster Thermidor (not a big fan of lobster, but it's actually the mustard that would push me away from this. GAG! I hate mustard.)
98. Polenta (Do I get half credit for grits?)
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee (I'm counting this because these beans are the basis for Tia Maria, which I love)
100. Snake (I see no reason why I wouldn't at least try this)

Wow. 36 items.

(PS. The list has generated a lot of questions, so some dude created an FAQ for it over here!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home