Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

More memories to make me giggle

So, I'm listening to George Michael because I'm going to see him in a couple of weeks.  I'm getting in the mood.  And let me tell you, it's not hard to get in the mood for such great music. 
 
Anyway, the opening bars of "Faith" start playing on my iPod and I start laughing hysterically.  Faith came out when I was in 10th grade.  In 10th grade, I had Spanish II with, um, kids from every grade, social class, and intelligence level.  Somehow, I became the target of two (sometimes three) "popular" guys' teasing.  At the time, I couldn't understand why they were interested in talking to me.  (Now I see the appeal of "cool" guys hitting on the goodie two shoes with big boobs, purple eyeliner and mall hair.)  I loved (and still do) that album.  One of these cool guys in my Spanish class HATED George Michael.  I don't know what kind of music he listened to, but that wasn't it.  I had the cassette in class with me one day and for weeks afterward that cool guy would mock the opening bars of the song "Faith."  I can't really describe it, but he would repeat (and repeat and repeat) the same four or five bars by making this noise that sounded like a wounded animal.  It was pretty obnoxious at the time, but really funny now.
 
I wonder what became of him.

[and now a word from our sponsors...]



Making the world a better place one message at a time. Check out the i'm Talkathon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home