Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Monday, March 03, 2008

and thus death spread to all men...

My friend DrummerChick called me a couple of times this weekend.  I was in a funk all weekend and didn't answer the phone.  I thought it was a little odd that she tried to get me a couple of times, but figured that she was just checking up on me since we hadn't talked in a while.

I am such a loser, bad friend.  I was too wrapped up in my own bad mood to answer the phone when one of my dearest friends was calling to tell me that her mother had died of a sudden heart attack.

It was important for her to talk to me because, of all her friends, I am the only one who knows exactly what she is going through.  I spoke with her this morning.  She sounded fine.  But I know that sound.  She's keeping it together because she's got so much to do.  She's focused on planning the events that will honor her mother's life.  She's writing out the obituary and the program for the memorial service.  She's taking care of things at her father's house.  She's busy.  But I know what's coming after all that work is finished.  I know how the bottom drops out from under you.  I know how waking up each morning is a chore, but going to sleep each night is even more difficult.

I know.




Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging. You IM, we give. Learn more.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im glad she has you- but Im sorry that you have to "know". I talked to her today and thought the same thing. My mom had told me she was in "taking care of business mode" and I thought - 'what else?'. Its who she is. She told me she's afraid that people will think she doesn't care as much as her sister because she's not an emotional mess. I told her everyone knows better.

Guess I'll see you Saturday.

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and you are NOT a bad, loser friend. It's so impossible that you could be that I almost didn't comment on it.




I was feeling really awful that I hadn't called her yet. I texted both her and that husband of hers on Friday to tell them I loved them and that Id call later.

I called today and, among other things, apologized. She told me that she wouldn't have appreciated it if I'd called before. She was too overwhelmed with everything. She said today was the day she needed me to call. Funny how she ended up making me feel better....

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home