Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

365 - Day 14


365 - Day 14
Originally uploaded by horsenbuggy

The Perils of Motherhood. The Execution.

I shot two images of this. The first shows the mother standing over the baby with its diaper open - kinda ominous - shot low, looking up at the mother. This is the pay off. I had to tape the diaper to the doll's hand since she can't actually hold anything. I would love to have been able to turn her arm over so that it looked like she was barely holding the used diaper by two fingers. But her arms don't twist, they only open out to form a T.

I tell ya, it is really amazing how un-flexible these dolls are. I thought they were bendable and all posable. But they're not. I've got one Barbie whose legs don't even bend. She's supposed to be a ballerina. What kind of ballerina doesn't bend her knees?!?!

There are dolls out there who are very posable, the term is "articulated." But the joints are very ugly. Photos I see of these dolls pull me out of the concept because the weird joints remind me that these are dolls, not people. Does that make sense? If I get any of these dolls, I will have to shoot them in long sleeves and pants to try to minimize that. In a strange way, it makes me appreciate how wonderfully made we are. We are "articulated" with lovely, seamless joints.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home