Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

If I Only Celebrated Christmas

I know what I'd be wishing for ... this.

Can you imagine walking into my house, coming up the stairs, rounding the corner and seeing a life-size (though flat) Thierry Henry kicking a ball at you? I'd yell "Offsides!" every time I came home. My neighbors might not find that as amusing as I do.

By the by, I got a shout-out on an English podcast today. They recap all the Premiership news from the weekend. To make their show interesting, they have fun titles for their various segments. They introduced a new segment last week which they asked their listeners to name. I sent in a couple of suggestions that I really liked. I got an email back from one of the podcasters (there are four guys on the show) indicating that he liked one of my suggestions. I was very eager to listen to the podcast today to see if I'd won the honour of naming the new segment. Nope.

The best I got was that one of the guys said my full name and declared that I was "fabulously named." So he liked *my* name better than the name I'd come up with for the segment. Then the one who sent me email, spoke up and said that he had really liked one of my suggestions but couldn't accept it because I support a rival club. Hooligan.

That leads me to a second tangent in this post... So many people seem to love my name. It is unique in the world. Evidently it is also melodic, mellifluous, sonorous and movie-star-ish. Or something like that. People also seem to like to say it in a funny accent.

That could lead me to a third tangent... The boys on "My Boys" do this funny thing where one of them will say a funny combination of words. He will stop in the middle of his sentence to repeat the interesting combination. He'll repeat it a few more times and then look at his friends and say, "Try it." Then they all start saying the funny phrase. That wasn't too funny the first time it happened, but it is a running gag that seems to get funnier each time they do it. It was especially funny when they started doing it in front of the girl's new "high class" boyfriend. She silenced them with a look and reminded them that they had promised to act normal.

OK. No more tangents. I'm done.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home