Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

When are you too old for the Kids' table?

Affie blogged a while ago about how she still enjoyed sitting at the kids' table.  But at virtually 34, I think I've graduated to the adult table.  My sister in law just called to give me the option of sitting at the kids' table at The Doctor's anniversary dinner.   I understand the question.  She doesn't think there is enough room to fit all of us at her dining table.  So an easy solution is to move four people out to a card table.  Which four?  I Dunno, He Tells Jokes and two others.  Gee, who are the only two other single people?  Me and Poly.  Thankfully, the idea didn't sit well with Poly so she was prepared for it to not go well with me.  And she was fine with the fact that I don't want to sit at the kids' table.

Thus the life of the spinster - only granted adult status when it is convenient.  When it is not convenient, the spinster is relegated to the kids' table, even at 34. 

I'm not angry or offended.  I'm just a little sad that I'll never be viewed as a valid adult without a mate (a situation I cannot fix). 

Note to all who know Poly's mom: This is not a topic to ever discuss with her.  This is just a blog posting.  It was an event to stir the mind and get people thinking, not something to address or resolve.



Search from any Web page with powerful protection. Get the FREE Windows Live Toolbar Today! Try it now!

2 Comments:

Blogger Affable Olive said...

I dunno and he who tells jokes crack me up. I could so see myself sitting at that table. It would rock and lately, I've been out of my mind that way. I haven't done it in nearly two months... and it's priceless when the card table "accidently" collapses with everyone's drink on it and some how, you are the only dry one. Good times at the Olive dinners. Good times.

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am approaching 33 and my cousins range in age down from that to 25 on my dad's side... all but one of us is married... and we all still get sent to the 'kids table'. At least in our family it doesn't seem to have anything to do with marital status.

Frankly, the day Im told I have to sit with the 'grown ups' will be a sad one.

Not to mention making me feel really old!

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home