Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Gameapalooza

Games Night started a little slow, but like the fabled tortoise, it just seemed to keep going with no end in sight. Including myself, we had 12 people hanging out and playing games. I set up a card table (the very same card table that was given to me by Sporty Nice, her sister and her husband) in one area and made my kitchen table available as a secondary game site.

Top Model, A Woman Like That (Sporty Nice's sister's new nickname - it's a line from the song that plays as her ringtone), AWLT's husband (whose nickname is still stewing) and I played Scrabble. (Except A Woman Like That didn't play, I just needed a way to introduce her nickname.) I don't know what the final score was. I bingo'd on a triple word score (my third triple word score) to go out. Any question who won? I almost felt guilty.

While we were playing Scrabble, a game of Mexican Train dominos got started in the kitchen. I checked up on them a couple of times, but don't know who won. I got caught up in a conversation about photography when our room started playing Pictionary. My friend Like a Sailor (as in ... well, you know the saying) is into photography, but I'd never seen any of his work. He brought in a few pieces for me to look at - very nice, all black & white. The shocking thing is that it's all digital. I have to admit that I was completely fooled. I pride myself on being able to tell the difference. I couldn't tell with his work. (T, you and I may have to give in to the pressure.) It also turns out that Hoops is a photographer. Naturally, she didn't come to my house for the first time with photos in hand, so she's supposed to send me the link to her site. (Kimi, make sure that happens, please.)

I got in on the tail end of the Pictionary game by taking Mandy Moore's spot when she left. We lost, but I'm not taking the blame for it. Come on, you can't get "plump" from a drawing of a fat person, a skinny person, a "sounds like" drawing of a small fruit and an old-fashioned plum-line that is NOT a pendulum? Give me a break, people.

After Pictionary broke up, most of the gang went home. A few die hards stayed to play Nertz. What a fun game! I ended up winning, but not by much. A Woman Like That was hot on my heels, closer than any other person has been in a long time. If you've never played Nertz before, let me tell you, it gets vicious, especially with four decks playing. AWLT stood for most of the game. Top Model kept commenting about the table moving towards her. AWLT was pushing it towards her every time she reached over to play cards across the table. When I opened my pantry to get breakfast out this (mid)morning, the door almost hit the table. At first I couldn't figure out who had moved it. Then I thought of AWLT, smiled and moved it back into position.

A few more people left, leaving only the complete morons (what's more extreme than a die hard?): Top Model, Like a Sailor, A Woman Like That, her husband and I played Mexican Train dominoes. Here's the thing. This is not a quick game. It lasts for quite a while. We started it pretty late. I don't know if it was the constantly resupplied beverages or what, but in retrospect, it seemed to take even longer than usual. I guess we were distracted by all the laughing. As much as I like games and competition, I usually do not do well at this game. I came in second behind AWLT. Her poor husband's score looked like he thought we were playing Gin Rummy.

What I'm really trying to say is that Games Night turned into Games Morning. The last group didn't leave my house until 3:30. I got in bed around 4 and believe it or not, couldn't immediately fall asleep. I got about 6 hours of sleep last night. As I sit here typing this, I find myself getting very sleepy. I'm done and done.

9 Comments:

Blogger Affable Olive said...

Did you have the little train thing where when you get stuck you press the button in the center and it sounds like a real train?! Annoying, but FUN! It distracts. Did I tell you I'm on codeine? It's wonderful.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Horse N. Buggy said...

No, instead I had Like a Sailor singing "Come On Ride the Train" every 3 minutes. I guess I'm too tired for my own good, but the visual of him singing that to a little gamey "train whistle" sound effect has me giggling out of control.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Horse N. Buggy said...

And why are you on codeine? Have you discovered that you're allergic to the sun?

7:53 PM  
Blogger Alan said...

HOLY CRAP!!! Party Hardy at H'n'B's for some loco mexicano dominos... or something

10:14 PM  
Blogger Affable Olive said...

NOT allergic to the sun. In fact, this time, I didn't get burned at all, but of course Mehsha did...as usual. I have a kidney infection. The codeine is one of three meds I'm taking right now, so in the best intrests of the blog, you might want to take care of it until I'm off all this dope. Just put it down for a nap or something and I'll wake it up on Wednesday.

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess the double posting is related to the codeine. Next time you're in Bangkok and having sinus problems, ask for Benadryl, now with extra codeine! those crazy thais.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Alan said...

THAILANDISH!!!

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're starting to party like me!

1:31 PM  
Blogger Horse N. Buggy said...

And I was thinking that I was glad I hadn't invited you up 'cause you'd have wanted to kill me. "Don't mind my friend T puddled in the corner. She's a nice girl when she's awake ... and solidified."

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home