Me and My Imaginary Friends

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Why Aspirin is My Best Friend

You all know that I have headaches. I'm on medication for them. But sometimes I just get regular ol' headaches that have nothing to do with my "condition." When that happens, my prescription won't help. I used to take aspirin. But there's so much press out there about how aspirin is bad for your stomach.

And then...there's The Doctor. She went through a problem a while ago that was an inflammation of the lining of her stomach. It was incredibly painful and most likely caused by aspirin. Since then she has staunchly lobbied against the use of aspirin, to the point that she's even got me freaked about it.

I got a headache on Friday morning. I started downing water, Ibuprofin, sinus medicine, my prescription, anything and everything I could think of except aspirin. I was going to get through this thing without aspirin. I had it kinda under control by the time I went to bed Friday night. But it was with me again Saturday morning. I pushed through it, not enough to get to bookstudy, but enough to get out in service. After an hour in service, I was baked. I could barely drive my mother's car back to the Hall to get to my car. I ate, took some more of my prescription and went to bed.

I was awakened about an hour later by a phone call from my brother in law - the one who lives in Florida. I knew he was coming up here some weekend this month, but had forgotten which. It was this weekend. He called to say that he'd never seen my place and would like to see it. Oh crap! I haven't cleaned in a while due to my various travels and periods of feeling poorly. I wasn't really able to clean, but I was able to put most of the stuff away from downstairs before he got here.

Thankfully my headache had receded enough that I could carry on a coherent conversation with him. We went to the Turkish place for dinner and then dropped by my parents house to visit for about an hour. He dropped me off at home around 7:30. I went to bed with most of my headache gone. It was only hurting a small bit in the very back of my head. That's bearable. It's when the pain reaches the top or front of my head that I can't function.

I woke up this morning thinking that the headache was gone. But it was playing a nasty trick. By the time I got out of the shower, it was back and in the front of my head. I knew from the previous day that leaving the house before it was under control would only make it worse. I ate, took some Ibuprofin, drank lots of water and sat down to let it wash away. It didn't. It only got worse.

Around 11:30, I had had enough! I grabbed the bottle of Excedrin Migraine and downed two pills. I txt'd Jules that I wouldn't be able to make it for our plans this evening and laid down.

Literally 30 minutes later I was 98% better. I still feel a little discomfort when I bend over - all the blood rushes to my head and it throbs a little bit, but I no longer feel constant pain while just trying to exist. Stomach lining be damned! Life is about compromises and if I have to kill my stomach (and/or my liver) in order to be able to leave my house, I will do so.

1 Comments:

Blogger Affable Olive said...

I'm the same way with my inhaler, which I shouldn't be.
Turkish. I can't wait to taste that chicken hummus wrap...

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home